Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Passenger

Default cruising with a 14yo

My dh and I will be taking our first cruise this October and we're planning another one already probably for September of 2008. Our son will be 14 and I'm trying to decide which ship will be the most fun for him.

I noticed that on Carnival the teen disco starts at age 15. With my son being 14 and about 5 months away from turning 15, he'll probably be hanging out with kids both older and younger. Are the 12-14 group activities fun for the older age spectrum as well as the younger? How does the crew know if the kids are 15 and older anyway? Do they check the sign and sail cards when they come in?

I would also like to have an adjoining cabin as well. What ships offer them?

I've already read through the teenage freedom thread and have some ideas in mind for curfew and rules. We will probably give our son a good bit of freedom on the ship, I just want to make sure that there will be age appropriate things for him to do and he won't feel left out if he befriends some 15-16 year olds and can't do things with them because he's 14.

I read somewhere that all minors in a cabin have to have an adult with them. Is that the case? Would we have to say that his dad is staying with him while I'm in the cabin alone?

What destinations are good for kids that age? Dh and I are going to the Bahamas for our cruise and we may decide to go back since we'll have been there before. I'm thinking of probably a 4-5 day cruise.

I'm sure I'll think of other things to ask about the teen programs. Any info is welcomed, though.

Christina in GA
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Hi there!
I'm no expert by any means, but I did just book a Carnival cruise and we are traveling with my kids ages 11 and 13.
WHen booking the rooms, you do have to book an adult into each room that has a minor child. Once onboard you can go to the pursers desk and have the room cards switched around.

I'm not sure how they check ages for the teen activities. Where my oldest is only 13, I don't really want her hanging with the older crowd so I am curious about this myself.
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Hi, I was wondering if you have looked in the freedom class ships of RCL or the voyager class ships. They have seperate clubs just for teens. They also have their own lounges on the ship and a private outdoor area just for teens. My son has been cruising on the RCL class ships since he was about 9, our first with him was Disney which he and we loved. Then we tried RCL and none of us wanted to go anywhere else He has loved the programs everytime no matter which age group they have been. We would have the hardest time getting him to spend time with us. Now that he is old enough to get into the teen areas I am thinking are chances are going to be slim to none. Anyway, I just wanted to give my experiences and knowledge about RCL. Hope it helped.
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Yeoman

In addition to RCI ships for teens, Carnival's ships all have Club O2, which is a new teen club for those 15 to 17 years old. It's got high tech lighting and sound systems for parties, etc.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor