Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Default toddler swimming rights

Hi,
We are planning a family cruise. my husband, daughter, myself, also my son, daughter in law and our 2 year old granddaughter. That is our problem. She will be 2 y 7 months in Jan. when we want to go. We have been told by all 3 major cruise lines that she can not use the pool since she is not 3. What are my options.
Psm1956
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

The only signs I've seen regarding children in the pool is "no diapers or swimmies allowed in pools". If she is potty trained, she should be just fine.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

There are no "rights" to swim in the pool. If your child is potty trained and out of diapers, then they are welcome to swim in the pools. The majority of pools are on cruise ships are salt walter and not chlorinated and therefore have no way to counteract bacteria that find their way into it......E-coli being the most dangerous. The CDC states that those children who are not potty trained and in swim diapers cannot use cruise ship pools for this very reason. Urine is sterile, poop is not. Swim diapers leak (bacteria are not visible to the naked eye.)

One suggestion that has been made is that you bring up a small inflatible pool (about 2 feet in diameter) that you can fill up with a couple of pails of water and then dump in the shower drains near the pool. These don't take up a lot of deck space and gives your child an area to play in the water. They can also be used in the cabins to give a bath as most cabins (except for suites and mini-suites) have showers only.
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Thank you for explaining about the salt water pool. It has been 3 years since we last cruised. At that time grandkids were not a thought. I'm sure 3 & 4 year olds have accidents, they are having fun and don't want to get out of the water. I guess I will have to check with the cruise line to see if they have pools that are chlorinated.
PSM
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

Even if it's chlorinated, you'll see signs that say no one in diapers can use the pool. Disney Cruise Line is the only line allowing diapers in pools. The "ears" of the Mickey Pool have a separate filtration system, thus if there's a diaper accident, they only have to evacuate the ears part of the pool and the rest of the older kids can still swim in the rest of the Mickey Pool.

I know it's disappointing to hear of these limitations, but it's better you know ahead of time than when you get on board.

smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor