Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Beginner

Default Camp Carnival

This will be our first cruise with our 5 yr. old son, it looks like he will be in with the Toddlers (ages 2-5) has anyone had a 5 yr. old in camp?
Do they split the 4/5 yrs. away from the younger ones? I just know he would hate being with what he would call "babies" all week, or would he have the option of going up to the Juniors (ages 6-8).
Thanks for any information!
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yeoman

My son was in that age group when he was four and loved it! Camp Carnival does a great job. Your child won't be able to move to the 6 years group until he is actually 6 yrs. old. I bet he's going to have a great time anyway!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Our Dd was a month away from her 5th birthday and HATED Camp on the last cruise we took. We sailed the Conquest last March.

She cried everytime we attempted to drop her off. This was not the child we boarded with or lived with at home. Don't know where she came from!!! She was one of three "older" kids in the group and was the oldest of the three so it just didn't work for her.

Her brother (who is 8) loved Camp and his group. Had a hard time getting him to leave at night!

On our first cruise (Alaska on the Spirit) both kids couldn't wait to go to Camp. Breakfast was torture for all involved until Camp opened

This next time we cruise she will be a new 6 so I HOPE things will be different. We felt she was cheated out of her cruise experience.

We will also be sailing on RCC, praying this will make a difference (age plus different ship). We'll see.

I wish you luck!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Passenger

My son had a problem being in the "baby" group when he was 5 on the Disney Wonder. He hated it at first and even began to bully some of the younger children when he was bored (not his usual behaviour). Disney had no problem moving my son up to the older group - even suggested it on a trial basis - and my son ended up having a fantastic time. I would discuss this issue with a camp counselor. I see no reason the child can not be moved to a more appropriate group if he is mature and will properly participate in group activities. Its defintely worth a shot.

Happy Cruising!
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Yeoman

Just don't go on a ship assuming your child will be moved to an older age group since they're close to having a birthday. Most lines are strict about this and sometimes you have to even provide the child's passport so they can check the child's age and make sure they're in the right youth group. It doesn't hurt to ask once aboard though -- some lines will make an exception if you child is turning the next age group during the next month.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
First Mate

We asked that Dd be moved up after seeing the younger kids in her age group.

We sailed in March and her birthday was 3 weeks away and they wouldn't move her up.

She just refused to go and broke down into tears everytime we tried.

Can't hurt to ask if they will move your Dc up but don't be suprised if they won't.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean