Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Default Questions Re: Cruising w/ 15 month old

I would be much obliged if you folks would share your knowledge and opinions with me!

We are booked for the October 29th POH sailing, and my daughter will be 15 months at the time.

1. She is drinking about 20oz of whole milk per day (along with an unbelievable amount of solids, of course). Is there anywhere I can get whole milk aboard the ship, or should I plan on bringing it or buying it in port? OR, do you think it would matter if she just drinks 1-2% or whatever they offer, for a week?

2. Are babies allowed in all the dining rooms? We won't be terribly put out if we can't attend Le Bistro, for example. I would understand them not wanting babies in a fancy restaurant.

3. Do you recommend altering bedtimes while on a cruise? She normally goes to bed at 8:30pm. It's going to be tricky because we want to see some shows in the evenings, but also want to leave early in the morning to get our car rented to see the island(s).

4. Since we are renting 3-4 cars on different islands, do you think it is worth it to bring her carseat as checked luggage on the plane? She is still in her infant carrier. I'm not sure what it costs to rent a carseat at the agency, but it would add up.

5. Any other tips for cruising with an infant? Things to bring, things not to bring?

Thanks in advance!

Naomi
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Questions Re: Cruising w/ 15 month old

Ships generally have whole milk. My kiddo was in the dining room at 12 months, so it is OK, but do not suggest taking yours in any pay-to-dine restaurants. There is kiddo formal wear for formal nights, but it is not mandatory. Get a sitter if you want to see the shows, but keep kiddo's schedule - ask about options at the front desk upon arrival. Why not get a combo car seat / carrier?

Tips - have a bottle ready for the flights as sucking helps equalize the air pressure, keep kiddo shaded as much as possible (hat, rollup car window screen), bring a nylon portable playpen (kiddie jail) for the cabin, get a cabin with a tub, bring an emergency supply of cheerios and graham crackers (or steal them from the breakfast buffet ). If going out early do room service. Also, take an umbrella-type stroller.

BTDT and got stuck with a scuba diver at age 10 as my reward for sending a kiddo to sea at an early age - maybe you will get a mermaid.
8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC&K
I would be much obliged if you folks would share your knowledge and opinions with me!

We are booked for the October 29th POH sailing, and my daughter will be 15 months at the time.

1. She is drinking about 20oz of whole milk per day (along with an unbelievable amount of solids, of course). Is there anywhere I can get whole milk aboard the ship, or should I plan on bringing it or buying it in port? OR, do you think it would matter if she just drinks 1-2% or whatever they offer, for a week?

2. Are babies allowed in all the dining rooms? We won't be terribly put out if we can't attend Le Bistro, for example. I would understand them not wanting babies in a fancy restaurant.

3. Do you recommend altering bedtimes while on a cruise? She normally goes to bed at 8:30pm. It's going to be tricky because we want to see some shows in the evenings, but also want to leave early in the morning to get our car rented to see the island(s).

4. Since we are renting 3-4 cars on different islands, do you think it is worth it to bring her carseat as checked luggage on the plane? She is still in her infant carrier. I'm not sure what it costs to rent a carseat at the agency, but it would add up.

5. Any other tips for cruising with an infant? Things to bring, things not to bring?

Thanks in advance!

Naomi
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Beginner

I am interested in cruising with my daugher who will be 13 months old at the time. I am most concerned about getting around on the islands when in port. I noticed you arranged to rent a car. How did you do this and do you think this is the only option. I did hear most taxi's don't have seat belts for carseats. Don't want to do much sightseeing, just beaching, shopping etc.. thanks. Michelle
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Yeoman

I've written an article "Bringing the Baby" listed on the main family page here that you may want to read for advice.

You can get milk in the buffets/Lido restaurants easily. However, many of the in-room mini frigs on some ships are not full frigs as far as coolness/temperature is concerned. You may want to check with the cruise line about that since you want to make sure any milk you bring back from the buffet area for say an early morning/late night bottle, will be kept cool enough.

When my kids were young, they drank soy milk. I brought little boxes with us in our carry on and they just had single servings, thus no concern about open box storage. However, you can't bring liquids in carry ons now. Thus, the cruise lines provide us with soy milk if we arrange it ahead of time.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Crusie Editor
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Observed on my recent day trip from San Antonio to Maui that parents bringing a bottle of water plus dry formula in the security line had to toss the water, but if the formula was mixed aleady and in the bottle they could keep it. Might mix your formula before you head into security if its close to feeding time for your kiddo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgaynor
I've written an article "Bringing the Baby" listed on the main family page here that you may want to read for advice.

You can get milk in the buffets/Lido restaurants easily. However, many of the in-room mini frigs on some ships are not full frigs as far as coolness/temperature is concerned. You may want to check with the cruise line about that since you want to make sure any milk you bring back from the buffet area for say an early morning/late night bottle, will be kept cool enough.

When my kids were young, they drank soy milk. I brought little boxes with us in our carry on and they just had single servings, thus no concern about open box storage. However, you can't bring liquids in carry ons now. Thus, the cruise lines provide us with soy milk if we arrange it ahead of time.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Crusie Editor
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Passenger

[quote="lfgaynor"]I've written an article "Bringing the Baby" listed on the main family page here that you may want to read for advice.

I can't find the article. Can you post a link? Thanks I know I am blind as a bat!