CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Who's booked for 2008? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/340023-whos-booked-2008-a.html)

lfgaynor September 19th, 2007 11:45 AM

Who's booked for 2008?

Just wondering which family cruises you parents have booked are or thinking of booking for 2008?

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

CruisePhD September 21st, 2007 01:27 PM

I am toying with a December 2008 cruise with my 11 year old son, probably a 4-5 day cruise from Florida to the Caribbean. Right now, I'm looking at Norwegian Pearl, or one of the Carnival Destiny-class ships. Any advice from family cruisers (especially ones with preteen boys) as to which lines has the better kids program would be greatly appreciated!

lfgaynor September 24th, 2007 04:02 PM

Actually, I find the seven day cruises to be best. With a four day cruise, you're just getting into the swing of things (including relaxation), and it's time to go! My 14 year old has been on over 25 cruises and has loved them all!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

thisisthelife October 1st, 2007 12:55 AM

Currently we have a deposit on the new Carnival Splendor for the Dec 27th sailing but may be switching to the Royal Carribean Liberty of the Seas in August.
I would love some input on which cruiseline Carnival or Royal Carribean is better for a 9 and 11 year old. ( they have only sailed Disney and I was trying to have them try other ships)

lfgaynor October 3rd, 2007 02:52 PM

I think they'll be happy with Carnival or RCI. Disney is a bit for the younger kids but CCL and RCI have very active youth and pre-teen programs.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

mongo85 October 7th, 2007 06:38 PM

We have put our deposit down for March 2008 cruise out of Galviston .
We will be on Carnival Conquest with a 6 yr old and a 10 yr old.
It will be our very first cruise.

slightlyaskew October 7th, 2007 10:51 PM

We are headed out to sea on NCL, Sun in Jan. 08, First time cruise for our (almost) 4 year old, my 2nd, hubby's 4th. Western Caribbean is our destination.
Cindi

jad321 October 9th, 2007 11:47 AM

This is our 1st cruise :D and we are on the Explorer of the Seas 2/15/08, I've heard a lot of goods things about Royal Caribbean, especially cruising with a 14 and 9 year old

ackmom October 10th, 2007 11:33 AM

We are booked for Nov. 21st, 2008 on a nine day Southern Carribbean. It is the NCL Pearl out of Miami. Our kids will be 15, 13, and 10. We cruised with them over Thanksgiving 2006. It was their 1st cruise and absolutely loved it. Thanksgiving was a great time with a lot of kids on-board due to the holiday. We are already looking forward to next year, and the 9 day cruise (we have only done 7 days before).

sarah71304 October 20th, 2007 08:03 PM

We are booked for the Feb 16 08 carnival freedom cruise it is my first with my 3 year old so I am a little nervous

fun4me October 21st, 2007 12:21 PM

My fam, with 3 sons, are booked for the Navigator Jan 5-10. Hubby and I did our first cruise on a Carnival last year, and just had to bring the boys. We picked the Royal Carribbean because of all the activities for our teens. Plus plenty to do for our 8 year old.

ddcrabb October 21st, 2007 02:18 PM

My family and I have booked the Carnival Conquest for April 6th out of Galveston. My kids are 11 and 7. We are thinking about these excursions. In Jamaica(Montego Bay)--going to the Sunset Beach Resort for the day. Buying an all day pass. All of the reviews we have seen it is great for kids and only $40 per person for all inclusive. Just a short taxi ride to the Resort. In Grand Caymans-- Doing the Pirate Encounters through Carnival. Then maybe going to the 7 mile beach for the rest of the day. In Cozumel-- Going to Chankanaab. How does that sound? Any other suggestions?

lfgaynor October 22nd, 2007 11:50 AM

In Jamaica, you definitely want to book a shore ex. through the cruise line to minimalize "hassle" factor. In Grand Cayman, you may want to save money and not book a shore excursion. Instead, you can go in a van from the port to Seven Mile Beach. It's a short drive and very reasonable. You'll then have time to shop in town after the beach. The beach is lovely but gets crowded -- I suggest getting to Seven Mile Beach in the morning.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

ddcrabb October 22nd, 2007 07:41 PM

Thanks.

Gatormama October 30th, 2007 05:10 AM

April trip

Hi all,
We are booked on the Freedom for April vacation. Kids have been bugging us since that class was launched. Oldest(13) wants to surf so we figured we would try it. Youngest is 8 and he doesn't know yet so that will be a surprise at Christmas
Anne

slightlyaskew October 30th, 2007 09:38 PM

What's the best way to find out if any special vaccines/shots are needed for our cruise to Honduras, Belize, Mexico & Jamaica (I'm asking for the first two ports, vs. the later) Thanks!

lfgaynor November 5th, 2007 03:23 PM

I suggest either asking your doctor or the cruise line directly re if shots are needed for Belize and Honduras. I'm inclined to say no, but pls. contact authorities directly.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

cjohnk November 8th, 2007 02:33 PM

my wife and I have friends who are getting married on a ship this coming october. By then, our baby due in January, will be just about 8 months old. Are we out of our minds thinking we might be able to bring the baby along. This will be our first, so we have no idea regarding the feasability of traveling with a child that age. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

lfgaynor November 12th, 2007 03:28 PM

Pls. see the article, "Bringing the Baby" that I wrote. It's on the main family cruise page here at CruiseMates.com. Let me know if you have add'l questions.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor

pam29922 November 12th, 2007 07:32 PM

My family (me, DH, DS 9, and DM) are booked Carnival Valor Western Caribbean March 2-9. I can't wait!!!!

Justcat December 21st, 2007 09:06 AM

I'll have a family cruise on RCI Sov of Seas January 11th 2008!
Twin five year olds, 4 twenty somethings, 2 grandparents, and a partridge in a pear tree... LOL

jackiesbooks December 21st, 2007 09:23 AM

I did not need an Shots for belise or Honduras, but I could not give blood for a yr after visiting. I have a friend that went as a msiionary for several weeks to a remote part of Honduras and she did have to get shots.

slightlyaskew December 21st, 2007 05:57 PM

thank you jackies book....our Ped said perhaps Hep A-but we ran out of time to get it.

CruisePhD December 27th, 2007 02:52 PM

My son has told me he wants to go to Sweden. A cruise to Sweden. I've looked at some cruises during June and July 2008 and the most reasonable ones seem to be Costa and MSC. Has anyone had any experience with preteens on these lines? Does anyone have any idea of the demographics of a Northern European cruise in the summer? I"d like there to be other kids for him to meet.

alisa726 December 29th, 2007 12:27 AM

We are taking our kids on their 1st cruise (ages 5 & 3). April 2008 Brilliance of the Seas (RCI) Panamal Canal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisePhD
My son has told me he wants to go to Sweden. A cruise to Sweden. I've looked at some cruises during June and July 2008 and the most reasonable ones seem to be Costa and MSC. Has anyone had any experience with preteens on these lines? Does anyone have any idea of the demographics of a Northern European cruise in the summer? I"d like there to be other kids for him to meet.

I've been on Costa & they had a great kid/teen program (from what I saw not having kids w/ me but saw a ton of families & talked w/ many). They were tough on underage drinking as well (I got carded at 27- but went on Magica a few weeks after a drunk 15 yr old went over board). Costa drained the pools & hot tubs early evenings so they was nothing on deck. They did a good teen dance club which many adults found their way to.

guidinglight January 4th, 2008 10:48 AM

We'll be on Liberty of the Seas 7/12/08, with our two daughters, who'll be 12 and 15 by then.

Navy60 January 6th, 2008 05:58 PM

Booked for Spring Break

We'll be going on the Dawn Princess March 30 '08, looking forward to the Mexican Riviera! Myself, DW and DS (age 11)

Divemaster January 11th, 2008 05:53 PM

Hmmm....those kiddos can provide cheap entertainment for the fish - consider dropping them into the Atlantis sub down in Cozumel. 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongo85
We have put our deposit down for March 2008 cruise out of Galviston .
We will be on Carnival Conquest with a 6 yr old and a 10 yr old.
It will be our very first cruise.

slightlyaskew January 13th, 2008 10:23 PM

Just returned from our Western Carribean on NCL Sun...had a great time, but when i have more time I will share a story portraying why you should book excursions though the cruise line! : )

ladypalmtree January 15th, 2008 11:17 AM

March 22nd 2008 myself and dh and dd who is 15 on the Golden Princess...not long now!