Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Beginner

Default Single mom cruising with 3 children

I really want to go on a family cruise with my children, but I don’t feel like I know enough about it even though I have done a lot of research so can someone help me out? I would like to go on a 3 or 4-day Bahamas cruise, but I can only do it during school breaks. I’m hoping to get an oceanview room whenever I cruise.

What category is better 8 or 9 in the oceanview stateroom?

Do you get insurance when cruising on your own or through the cruise line?

Have you ever purchased the cancel for any reason insurance?

Which cruise line did you cruise with?

Do you use a travel agent or do you do it yourself when booking your cruise?

Which end of the ship is the better end for your stateroom?

Are the balcony staterooms safe to have when cruising with children?

What is it to do in the Bahamas port Nassau?

Do you venture out on your own at the ports to shop or do you take the tours?

While on tours do you get to stop at shops to purchase souveniers?

If you had to fly to get to your departing port did you book your flight as a package with the cruise or did you purchase your own flight?
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Admiral

What category is better 8 or 9 in the oceanview stateroom?
Each cruise line has different category names, so the answer to this question would depend on the cruiseline that uses numbered categories.
NCL uses letters A-K and A categories are generally the highest, best rooms.
Carnival has Categories 1-12, 12 is the highest.

Do you get insurance when cruising on your own or through the cruise line? Go to insuremytripdotcom.

Have you ever purchased the cancel for any reason insurance?
No, I think it is pretty pricey.

Which cruise line did you cruise with? NCL, Carnival & RCCL One thing you may want to look into if you can swing the time off, is NCL offers 7 day Bahama cruises from NYC during Spring Break time and often runs specials that time of year which let 3rd and 4th passengers cruise free. All you have to do is pay the taxes. They stop at their private island Great Stirrup Cay, Port Canaveral, Miami and Nassau. It's a nice way to get away with your kids and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. You can even take them on a day trip to Disney. Also on NCL they only charge $5 per day for tips for kids under 12, as opposed to $10 on most cruise lines. You will be charged $10 per day though. NCL has great kid's clubs too.

Do you use a travel agent or do you do it yourself when booking your cruise? TA, she is worth her weight in gold and has saved me money compared to what I would have paid by booking directly with the cruise line because she discounts the lowest advertised price.

Which end of the ship is the better end for your stateroom? Low and in the middle is the least affected by motion. But if you have a balcony or oceanview, up high is great to enjoy the view.

Are the balcony staterooms safe to have when cruising with children? I never allow my kids to go on the balcony without me and I do not allow them to stand on the chairs. It's as safe as you make it.

What is it to do in the Bahamas port Nassau? I highly recommend Seeing the cool stuff at Atlantis and Paradise beach. The kids will like it. You can buy a day pass at nearby Comfort Inn & Suites which will give you full access to all of Atlantis plus you'll have a place to leave your stuff during the day. Or just go to Paradise Beach, it's a very nice free, public beach right behind Atlantis.

Do you venture out on your own at the ports to shop or do you take the tours? We usually venture out on our own.

While on tours do you get to stop at shops to purchase souveniers? We generally don't enjoy shopping too much and don't take too many organized tours, so I can't honestly answer.

If you had to fly to get to your departing port did you book your flight as a package with the cruise or did you purchase your own flight. I book my own flights. It always been less expensive.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Thanks a million for all of your helpful information. I am still trying to book a cruise either through Disney, Carnival or Royal Caribbean, but everybody is already booked during my children's school breaks and the prices are very expensive during that time.
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Yeoman

Yes, Disney/NCL/RCI and Carnival are the ones to book for short family cruises. Vacation times do book early and are full of kids!

Let me know what you decide.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor