Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska with an infant

Hello! First off, please forgive me if any of you are on other cruise forums, as I have posted in several and am just looking for as much advice/suggestions as possible.

My husband, myself, my (then) 14 month old daughter, and a friend are currently booked on Tahitian Princess 14 day RT Vancouver to Alaska in June. We have 2 balcony cabins. We specifically chose this ship for a number of reasons - firstly, the itinerary is great and stops at places most other ships do not, secondly, we live in Vancouver so require a RT in order to avoid flying/driving, and thirdly, this is my friend's dream vacation and is likely to be her last. That being said, other cruisers have told us that we should absolutely not do the Tahitian Princess with a baby, we should absolutely not do Alaska with a baby, and we should absolutely not cruise with a baby. Leaving the baby at home is out of the question for us - we either take her or don't go. We have looked at other lines and, while we love NCL for the casual approach and RCCL for the family approcah, we don't really care as much for the itineraries (after all, we are going for Alaska more than we are going for the actual cruise).

That being said, we need to make a decision soon so that we can either make final payment on our current booking, or book an alternative cruise line. We are very conscientious parents and would never allow our baby to ruin someone else's vacation. We are expecting to not eat in the dining room with her, and are aware that there are no children's programs/babysitting on board. We are also aware that we might miss out on excursions, all of which is fine. I would just love some feedback/advice from parents that have either done this ship or done Alaska with a young baby. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska with an infant

Done HAL (Eastern Caribbean) 7 days when kiddo was 12 months with no problemo. You know the climate up north, so you should be able to keep kiddo warm and dry. First thing aboard is to see about a possible sitter at the front desk - had an officer's wife with her kiddo sit my son on a few occasions. Mostly carted him around on board with an umbrella type ministroller. If you do wildlife tours from boats (say otters, eagles, or whales), you will have shelter and not have to shuttle kiddo around.

My kiddo did the dining room each night with no problemo (even went formal on formal night), but then kiddos vary. Cruising with a kiddo can be easy or hard, depending completely on the kiddo. Definitely take a kiddie jail (portable nylon playpen) along for the cabin. The ship should be able to provide food and etc, but you may want your own if you kiddo is finicky.

My two concerns: 14 days is a bit long for a kiddo's first cruise, if kiddo should be finicky and I'm risk adverse to a balcony cabin with a young kiddo, hence the kiddie jail (but then I'm an auditor ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilidh
Hello! First off, please forgive me if any of you are on other cruise forums, as I have posted in several and am just looking for as much advice/suggestions as possible.

My husband, myself, my (then) 14 month old daughter, and a friend are currently booked on Tahitian Princess 14 day RT Vancouver to Alaska in June. We have 2 balcony cabins. We specifically chose this ship for a number of reasons - firstly, the itinerary is great and stops at places most other ships do not, secondly, we live in Vancouver so require a RT in order to avoid flying/driving, and thirdly, this is my friend's dream vacation and is likely to be her last. That being said, other cruisers have told us that we should absolutely not do the Tahitian Princess with a baby, we should absolutely not do Alaska with a baby, and we should absolutely not cruise with a baby. Leaving the baby at home is out of the question for us - we either take her or don't go. We have looked at other lines and, while we love NCL for the casual approach and RCCL for the family approcah, we don't really care as much for the itineraries (after all, we are going for Alaska more than we are going for the actual cruise).

That being said, we need to make a decision soon so that we can either make final payment on our current booking, or book an alternative cruise line. We are very conscientious parents and would never allow our baby to ruin someone else's vacation. We are expecting to not eat in the dining room with her, and are aware that there are no children's programs/babysitting on board. We are also aware that we might miss out on excursions, all of which is fine. I would just love some feedback/advice from parents that have either done this ship or done Alaska with a young baby. Anyone?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas