Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising with Toddler ... questions

We are taking our daughter 2 year 3 months on a HAL cruise around South America in mid February (yes we are slightly crazy, but it is an extended family trip) anyway the seas are prone to be rough especially around the Cape and I want to be prepared in case she gets seasick. I have checked with the ped and they did not know of any medicine that was safe for toddlers. Has anyone used an over the counter or prescription seasickness medicine for their young child and if so what is it and what was the dosage?

Thanks and happy to take any other suggestions from cruising families prior to this 16 day adventure.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Yeoman

I would push the pediatrician to research for you the dosage of seasickness meds for a toddler b/c as you say, seas can be rough around the Cape.

Make sure you also buy Sea Bands, which you can usually get in a CVS type drug store. They are tight elastic type bands you were on your wrists that exert pressure on a pressure point to counter act seasickness. My kids wear them in rough seas and they help. Also, bring ginger cookies with you since ginger is a natural way to combat a quesy tummy.

Be prepared but also think positively -- you never know! I went transatlantic w/my daughter and couldn't believe it was mostly Caribbean like tranquil waters!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising with Toddler ... questions

Take plenty of mild cookie/crackers for kiddo. Arrowroot, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABound
We are taking our daughter 2 year 3 months on a HAL cruise around South America in mid February (yes we are slightly crazy, but it is an extended family trip) anyway the seas are prone to be rough especially around the Cape and I want to be prepared in case she gets seasick. I have checked with the ped and they did not know of any medicine that was safe for toddlers. Has anyone used an over the counter or prescription seasickness medicine for their young child and if so what is it and what was the dosage?

Thanks and happy to take any other suggestions from cruising families prior to this 16 day adventure.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Benadryl

Our ped told us take Benadryl for our daughter. He said it works for nausea as well as allergies/itching, etc. Hopefully, we wont have to use it but that's what we are taking.

Here is what I found out from internet research as well:
Benadryl Oral Uses
Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever and the common cold. These symptoms include rash, itching, watery eyes, itchy eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose and sneezing. It is also used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting and dizziness caused by motion sickness. Diphenhydramine can also be used to help you relax and fall asleep.
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Benadryl

Kiddo's liquid Benadryl or a generic. Also have the kiddo minimize rich/greasy food. FYI, I use kiddo liquid Benadryl, and no stronger, for diving. BTW, might get a few glow stick necklaces and bracelets shoreside for the trip. With any luck your kiddo might come back to see towel animals in the cabin (depends on the steward and line).

Also, depending on the age, see the BBC Planet Earth series on the mini animals of the South American forests - cat-sized deer, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILFAN11
Our ped told us take Benadryl for our daughter. He said it works for nausea as well as allergies/itching, etc. Hopefully, we wont have to use it but that's what we are taking.

Here is what I found out from internet research as well:
Benadryl Oral Uses
Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever and the common cold. These symptoms include rash, itching, watery eyes, itchy eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose and sneezing. It is also used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting and dizziness caused by motion sickness. Diphenhydramine can also be used to help you relax and fall asleep.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

The children's benedryl will DEFINITELY work. Our daughter has had bad motion sickness since she was bout 8 months old. Made driving from Virginia to Ohio through the mountains really fun!!!! We started using it on pediatrician's advice, and she hasn't gotten sick on a trip since. She sometimes gets sick just driving around town, so to able to go up and down all through the mountains is a true blessing.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Default good to know!

wow! I never would have tought about benedryl for nausea That is god to know for th kids even when NOT on a cruise!
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Default good to know!

wow! I never would have tought about benedryl for nausea That is god to know for th kids even when NOT on a cruise!
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Beginner

to divemaster -

what are the glow stick necklace/bracelet for? just for fun or something that i'm not thinking about? i will be cruising with DH and DS (4 years old) in october.

thanks!
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Admiral

For fun at night on the decks or in shows or as nightlights in the cabin. Kiddos just seem to have fun with them and they are cheap thrills.<g>

In night diving we also use them for nightlights/marker lights.

Where are you dragging your poor 4YO off to? My son is now 13 and has been dragged everywhere from the tops of pyramids to caves at the bottom of the sea.<g>

BTW just back from flying over to New Zealand and Australia for the Labor Day weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khsmith14
to divemaster -

what are the glow stick necklace/bracelet for? just for fun or something that i'm not thinking about? i will be cruising with DH and DS (4 years old) in october.

thanks!
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Beginner

we will be dragging him to the mexican riveria. we dragged him to maui with us last year (not cruising). life is hard when your parents want to vacation some place cool and take you with them we'll see, maybe we'll like this cruise so much that we'll take another next year!
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Hope he was dragged to the Maui Ocean Center and gets dragged to the San Diego Zoo before the Riviera trip.<g> Indeed life is tough - my guy has skid marks from being dragged around the globe, up pyramids, and down into submarines.<g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by khsmith14
we will be dragging him to the mexican riveria. we dragged him to maui with us last year (not cruising). life is hard when your parents want to vacation some place cool and take you with them we'll see, maybe we'll like this cruise so much that we'll take another next year!
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Admiral

The active ingredient in Benadryl is/was the same active ingrediant that was used in the original formulation of Dramamine.... it makes you very sleepy and it is an effective anti-nausea med, BUT be very careful when dosing children.
Caution should be exercised when giving it to children. You will be hard pressed to find any pediatrician who will advocate giving benadyl to a child under 2 years old, it is generally discouraged. Children have died from Benadryl overdoses, so be certain to contact your pediatrician for the proper dosage according to your child's weight and not their age. Be certain to bring a proper medicine spoon/syringe to ensure accurate dosage as well. Also be aware because the drug will probably make your child drowsy and the only activity they will probably want is sleep.
On a brighter note, we have cruised many times on pretty rough seas with our children, and for some reason, small children appear to adjust to the rough seas, a lot better than adults. There have been times I have felt mildly queasy and the kids were oblivious to it.
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

I agree -- my daughter didn't get seasick much until she was older -- old enough to take dramamine.

In the meantime, I do always carry seabands for myself and the kids. They apply pressure to points on the wrist and help combat seasickness. Also bring a box of ginger cookies to help settle tummies.

SMOOTH sailing!
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise editor
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Default Toddler cruising

It was my experience that traveling on a cruise with a toddler is easy - until you get off the boat. Susana, my 3 year old is the sweetest thing and was easy to entertain on our cruise. Every time we got off the boat to walk around, we'd end up carrying her in the heat and she would fuss a lot. Most places aren't so kid friendly. We discovered this all day tour in Cozumel that was recommended by my parents. Started at 10 thirty and ended near four in the afternoon, just in time to get back on the cruise.
We had our own car, the kids were fed, she played with others on our stops and we had a blast! My parents booked through dunebuggytours@live.com
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Toddler cruising

Suggest in heat to use an umbrella stroller instead of carrying the kiddo and have a small umbrella for shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greys
It was my experience that traveling on a cruise with a toddler is easy - until you get off the boat. Susana, my 3 year old is the sweetest thing and was easy to entertain on our cruise. Every time we got off the boat to walk around, we'd end up carrying her in the heat and she would fuss a lot. Most places aren't so kid friendly. We discovered this all day tour in Cozumel that was recommended by my parents. Started at 10 thirty and ended near four in the afternoon, just in time to get back on the cruise.
We had our own car, the kids were fed, she played with others on our stops and we had a blast! My parents booked through dunebuggytours@live.com