Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Passenger

Default Kids Programs During School Year

Anyone taken their kids on a cruise during the school year and found there were little to no other children in the children's programs?

We are thinking of an October cruise, albeit a short one, but I imagine my kids will at least want to "check out" the programs. (And I would like them to, in hopes that we'll take a longer cruise someday.)

I am worried that there won't be many kids that time of year. Anyone have any idea? Will there be a shortage of kids? And if there is, does it matter?

Someone posted that the Camp Carnival programs don't go on as scheduled if there aren't enough kids, but Disney does?
DCL Wonder - 4-day Bahamas Oct 08 - family
RC Voyager - Canada 2004 - w/dh
RC Nordic Prince - Alaska 1993 - w/parents
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Admiral

I don't think you will have a problem with not enought kids on Carnival or RCCL. Always took my kids out of school and cruised RCCL and there were always kids onboard. The kids club runs year round so you should not have an issue with that either.

Enjoy your cruise!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Yeoman

Yes, CCL, Disney, and RCI always have kids on their ships and always run their youth programs. Obviously it's more fun though for kids if there are plenty of other children on board. October is definitely low season for kids on ships.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Beginner

I have the same concern . We will be on the Celebrity Summit in May .I know this is a more sedate ship and my greatest concern is that my kids will be the only kids on the whole ship! Is that possible? I have read that Celebrity has a neat and educational kids program but will they be able to play all the games and treasure hunts etc if there are few or no other kids on board.I picked this cruise because my middle son is a huge history buff and we are going to some fab places on what I expect to be great ship. My youngest son is just learning English - we are from Brazil.Do you think the counselors will be patient. Are there usually other foreign children on board?Have a great cruise!
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

Yes, May and October are quiet months as far as other kids being on ships. The up side is that they'll have more one on one time w/counselors. The down side is that some lines (possibly Celebrity) might combine the age groups if there's less kids so your kids may be w/those who are much older or younger. RCI gen'ly stays with its pre-designated age groups. But will have a youth program though.

Smooth sailing,
Lusia Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Beginner

Default Dec 1 was great on RCI carribean cruise for us

We had kids 5 and 7, went on a western carribean cruise starting Dec. 1. I was afraid the kids would not like it because there wouldn't be any other kids in the kids club. The ship was huge, like 3000 people or something. Most days there were about 10 kids of each age group in the kids activities. My kids HAD A BALL! It wasn't overcrowded, they got lots of attention from the people running the program, but there were enough other kids to keep the programs fun. THey didn't make any buddies, but they LOVED the cruise and especially the kids club. It was definitely low season and it was just fine for kids that age. Not sure how teenagers would have liked it, the teen room was always empty.
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Admiral

we will be cruising in april and this will be our first cruise. i never thought about the fact that there might not be many kids on it. since this is a 14 day cruise i had to make arrangements with my sons teacher. fortunately it is towards the end of the school year. i see that many people have posted that there are usually kids even on cruises during the school year but since this is a longer cruise im alittle worried.

Read and post cruise reviews