Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cruising with a 6 month old - highchair/laundry...any tips

I'm cruising with my 6 month old son on the Freedom of the Seas Feb 10th departure.
Does anyone know what type of highchairs are available? He still needs the high back type chairs.
Also, I can't find any info on costs for baby laundry, just adults.
Another question, he is just starting solids, so is still drinking quite a few bottles, how do you suggest we sterilize the bottles?
This may be a stupid question, but do you think they would let us use a blender? I make his food and figure we are paying for his cruise so we may as well try to use some meats or veggies, do you think this is something to pursue with the ship?
Thanks for any tips you may have for me, we are first time cruisers and first time parents, we normally wouldn't have taken on this adventure, but it's for my sisters wedding
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Admiral

I am a mother of 3 grown sons, 1 4 y/o grandson and I had a home daycare for 14 years; over 110 children. I have never cruised with an infant but have done other types of vacations with them. These are just some suggestions I would try.
1. I would look for a portable high chair or booster seat with tray, one that can be attached in a regular seat that you would be comfortable with. Our DIL used her stroller in restaurants which you could do in a corner table area.
2. I would purchase a portable baby food processor and blend the ships foods in it. We had one by Fisher Price that worked great.
3. Instead of bringing bottles that need to be sterized, (I have never done that) get him used to the type with disposable bags like Playtex.

Be sure to let everyone know what worked for you so others can gain from your experience. Have a great time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yeoman

Why don't you check out the article I wrote, "Bringing the Baby" which is on the main page of the family cruise section. It'll answer most of your questions.

The cruise ship won't let you physically use their blender but some lines do puree certain foods for you. You'd have to do sit down dining in the main dining room for that and nicely ask your waiter! No guarantees though.

All ships have high chairs in the dining room and buffets.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Most of the highchairs I've seen on cruise ships do not have the higher backs. Possibly you could bring one of those seat covers used in grocery store carts and restaurant high chairs to "snug up" the fit? A couple of light weight blankets you'll probably bring anyway might do the trick too.

As for bottles, I would take Luisa's suggestions and use the drop in liner type of bottles, OR just wash them out really well in the sink at night with hot soapy water and let air dry.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you all for your suggestions, we just returned from our cruise yesterday.
We used the drop-ins and it worked well. We were scheduled for the 8:30 dinner seating which was not working out with Nolan's feeding schedule, so we had to fight to get a highchair in our room for feeding (it was a safety issue.....they were worried we would place the baby in the highchair on the balcony??!!!)
If anyone is travelling with a baby, I would be happy to answer any questions. Now that we have one cruise under our belts and learned from our mistakes hopefully our cruise scheduled this Christmas will be a little more relaxing.