Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Default Disney or Freedom of the Seas w/ 3 and 5 year olds?

We are in the process of booking a cruise for this summer. I was sold on the Disney Cruise because I thought it would be fun for our boys but then I discovered the Freedom of the Seas ship! The Disney cruise would be 4 nights and the Freedom 7 nights.

I know the Freedom has a great kids area, but is there much to keep them busy the rest of the time on the ship? I know they are too young for the rock climbing wall (even though my 5 year old is quite good at it!). Also, are there many excursions geared toward the younger children typically? I also wonder if childless couples on the ship won't want to be bothered with having young children around.

I know our boys would love the Disney ship but it seems a bit old and showing it's age. Will my husband and I will find it a little "ho hum"?

Would love any input!

Elizabeth[/i]
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Yeoman

WIth a 3 and 5 year old, you should definitely choose the Disney Cruise. Perfect age for it! The ships really aren't showing their age -- they're more classically styled. The entertainment is pure family style and your kids are at a great age to enjoy the laid back character visits and appearances.

Freedom of the Seas is a great family ship but I think you'd all like it better once the kids are a few years older and can try the rock wall, etc.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm not an expert, but we just returned from the Freedom of the Seas and our friends have done the Disney cruise. I'd say Disney.
Freedom does have a good kids area during the day, but they will be a bit too young for the rock wall etc We took our 6 month baby, and we felt a bit of burden to other guests, we were actually asked why we would bring our baby?! (we brought him b/c my sister got married on the cruise) Our friends say the Disney line is geared to kids so everyone is very patient, friendly and accommodating.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Passenger

I agree with Luisa.

We did the Disney cruise when our children were 2 & 4 and again at 7 & 9. Yours are the perfect age. There is plenty for them to do and you and your husband will enjoy it as well! I hardly think the ships are showing their age and the shows are defintely family oriented. As far as excursions, when they were younger we opted to stay on the boat and enjoy what the ship had to offer so I really can't help you there.

My only concern for you is that a 4 day cruise just won't be long enough!

Our kids are now 10 & 12 and we are going to try FOTS this summer. While I'll miss the "Disney experience", I am looking forward to trying something new.

Good luck with your planning...
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yeoman

I agree w/the last post -- why don't you look into the 7 day Disney cruise. There is SO MUCH family programming for kids your children's age that the short cruise isn't long enough!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Beginner

I saw that the Freedom of the Seas has partnered with Nickelodeon for a 7 Day family cruise Aug 10-17. Looking at their website, it looks like it has plenty of activities for the kids and adults. Has anyone here booked this cruise? We are considering it for our family trip this summer.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Yeoman

Yes, it looks like tons of fun for kids! Freedom has so many kids/family/teen activities and facilities and when you pair that up with Nick, you're going to have a really active and kid-friendly cruise!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor