Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Beginner

Default Holland America for kids???

We have just planned our 1st cruise to the Caribbean with Holland America on the Eurodam on November 8. We were torn between the Crown Princess and the Eurodam and we finally decided to put a deposit on the Eurodam as it is a newer ship. We really liked the Crown Princess as well and I'm still torn between the 2.

More advice and/or opinions would be appreciated!

1) I have a 7 and 4 year old . Will they enjoy Club HAL or Princess Pelicans better?

2) My husband and I are in our mid-late 30s, will the Holland America ship too "old" for us?

3) Has anyone done a Suite on Princess or Holland? if yes, did you like it. Is it worth the extra money?

Our only concern with Princess, RCI and NCL is the passenger capacity,with over 3000 people on them. We don't like crowds too much and fear that it would overwhelm us. We were drawn to Holland because of the simple and classy ships, less passengers and supposedly good food.

My travel agent tells me that my kids are at an age where they will have fun on any ship and since it is our 1st cruise it will be great for them anywhere so he suggested we choose a ship to cater more to our needs. I think our main priorities are a good stateroom, kids club and a good spot to just lay in the sun and do nothing! We just really want to experience cruising and what it's like to be on a ship.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeoman

We went on HAL last summer in AK and the kids loved it (5 and 13 yrs. then). I wrote an article listed on the family home page of CM about it. You won't feel too old on the ship -- HAL is lowering its average age every year.

Let me know if you have more q's.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Hi Luisa,

Thanks. It's good to know there are people out there that like cruising HAL with kids. I've gotten so many comments from others saying not to travel on HAL as a first cruise and especially with kids. Everyone seems to say it's for older travelers and that the kids program does not compare to lines like RCI, NCL and Princess.

We've actually changed our date to Dec 13 (same ship, Eurodam) so maybe there will be more families and kids then. Anything we should know about HAL before we go? Must dos' and don'ts on their ships? Did you try the Pinnacle Grill? Spa, Thermal suite?
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Yeoman

You can read my article on the main page of CruiseMates regarding our Alaska cruise aboard HAL last summer.

Best,
Luisa
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Hi MKC22. I read your posting and am right there with you on all counts. We are taking our first cruise with the kids on HAL this summer on the Zuiderdam. We originally booked 24 days and then scaled it back to 12 days. We are in a VC category- we upgraded to an SA and then decided it probably wasn't worth the extra money for us. We are cautiously optimistic and have another cruise booked for next summer on the Eurodam in a VB cabin assuming this one goes well. It should be interesting! The difference in the cost of the Verandah vs the Suite was almost enough to pay for the Eurodam cruise. I'll let you know how it goes.