Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:27 AM
Passenger

Default help! need recommendations for shore excurtions w/ kids

We will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty departing July 12. We will have stops in Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. The kids will be 6, 8 and 11. Looking for excursions we can do on our own to avoid the cost of booking through the ship. We love snorkeling and the beach - not so big on shopping. Any and all recommendations appreciated..

Also - we will have two cabins - most likely not connecting. Any pointers for this? We're planning on having my husband and 2 boys in one room and me and daughter in the other room.

This cruise was a gift - aunt and uncle are bringing 20 of us for their 50th anniversary, so we didn't have any say in what type of cabins, etc. Also have dinner for all 20 of us booked for 8:30 each night. Not really counting on the kids eating with us - probably feed them at the buffet and off to the kids camp area. Also, our 6 yr old is a VERY picky eater - how is the kids menu on carnival?

Also, while I'm at it - we'll be in the Florida Keys for 4 days after the cruise - any recommendations for what to do there would be great too!

Eastern Carribean
Carnival Liberty 7/12/08
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yeoman

If this is Nancy from Nutley posting this, give me a call and I'll fill you in verbally on my recommendations!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Yeoman

If this is Nancy from Nutley posting this, give me a call and I'll fill you in verbally on my recommendations!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were in St. Thomas in November and booked an excursion through Shoretrips.com that included snorkeling, kayaking and hiking. Our kids were 14, 10, 9 and 7 at the time. It was great because we had a guide just for us, and she really took her time to explain everything to the kids. There was a group form Carnival that did a similar excursion, but it was only about half as long and they paid the same price as us - for about 30 people and 1 guide. Plus, I kept joking that the kids bickering only annoyed us instead of 20 other people!!! It really was a great day, and the kids learned quite a bit. My son was just telling his friend the other day what she told him about hurrican holes on this excursion - and he remembered everything!!!!

Terri
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: help! need recommendations for shore excurtions w/ kids

Suggest you bring your own snorkel gear.

Half Moon Cay Tips - bring shovels and pails for sand castle building. Collect shells, pine cones and sand into a baggie and make the old beach in a bottle when home. There's a kiddo's waterpark there, reef balls to snorkel over and typically a free BBQ.

St. Thomas Tip - you could cab over to a hotel beach. Again with sandcastle gear and snorkel gear the kids might keep busy.

San Juan - can't help there

Grand Turk - snorkel by the cruise ship pier. Again, the sand castle gear may come in handy.

As for the Keys - West has a Conch Train Tour, a Small Aquarium, and a Treasure Museum. Else, the Florida my kiddo and I visit is all underwater.

Must be nice to travel on someone else's tab - the only free travel my kiddo gives me involves putting on boots, hiking with a backpack, and listening to 40 scouts saying "Are we there yet?"<g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by njburly
We will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty departing July 12. We will have stops in Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. The kids will be 6, 8 and 11. Looking for excursions we can do on our own to avoid the cost of booking through the ship. We love snorkeling and the beach - not so big on shopping. Any and all recommendations appreciated..

Also - we will have two cabins - most likely not connecting. Any pointers for this? We're planning on having my husband and 2 boys in one room and me and daughter in the other room.

This cruise was a gift - aunt and uncle are bringing 20 of us for their 50th anniversary, so we didn't have any say in what type of cabins, etc. Also have dinner for all 20 of us booked for 8:30 each night. Not really counting on the kids eating with us - probably feed them at the buffet and off to the kids camp area. Also, our 6 yr old is a VERY picky eater - how is the kids menu on carnival?

Also, while I'm at it - we'll be in the Florida Keys for 4 days after the cruise - any recommendations for what to do there would be great too!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas