Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Default Newbie! Wondering if any cruise lines allow 1 y.o. in pools?

Hi, We've only cruised once before on RCCL's Sovereign and are looking to cruise again either this summer or in Nov. We're looking for Carnival or RCCL ship that allows 1 y.o. in the pool area or has a kids water/splash area he could go in. I see that on RCCL's Explorer they have a kids adventure beach pool area and I see Carnival has a new Waterworks on a few ships, but don't know if he'd be allowed. I know DCL has an area but they are way out of our price range!! We're hoping to spend no more then $1800 for us to cruise and there 2 adults and 3 kids!
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Sorry but know.. this is directly from Carnival. take a little blow up pool for the kiddie.

Use of the pools :

Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

Lifeguards are not on duty.

The pools are not designed for diving.

Use of the pools by guests under 13 without adult supervision is prohibited.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Sorry but know.. this is directly from Carnival. take a little blow up pool for the kiddie.

Use of the pools :

Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

Lifeguards are not on duty.

The pools are not designed for diving.

Use of the pools by guests under 13 without adult supervision is prohibited.
I was unsure if this included the waterworks area as there are spots in that area that are not pools...they just have water shooting up from holes in the floor?
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Beginner

...take a little blow up pool for the kiddie.

I have read that a lot of people do this for their kiddos still in diapers, but what I can't figure out is...what do you do with the water once your kid is done playing in the blow up pool? Dump it back in the pool? I'm sorry, maybe I am having a "duh" moment, but wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of having the blow up pool - you just put all the potentially contaminated water back in the pool???

I am cruising in December and my youngest will be 20 months - I am hoping for an early day time potty trainer!

Thanks![/quote]
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

RCCL's Freedom class ships have a baby splash area similar to Disney - other than that, nope, gotta bring the blow-up pool. There are drains in the pool deck where it can be emptied.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Passenger

I don't know about RCCL but Disney they do have separate kiddie pool. This pool allows kids in swimming diaper to play in there. So it's nice.

http://the-q-family.blogspot.com
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
RCCL's Freedom class ships have a baby splash area similar to Disney - other than that, nope, gotta bring the blow-up pool. There are drains in the pool deck where it can be emptied.
Thanks, I will check them out! My older kids really want to go on the Carnival Imspiration or Imagination as they saw the Waterworks pictures online but it would be torture I'm sure for my 1 year old to try and keep him out of the play area at Waterworks. The pools I do understand but was unsure about the water play areas on some ships. TY!
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Passenger

Default kiddie pool, etc.

Ok, so there is a drain for you to empty the kiddie pool. How do you fil it up? You can't stand there and scoop water out of the regular pool right? If Disney and other ships can allow swim diapers, why can't carnival? Especially in the water works area. It will be extremely hard to keep a very active - loves the water 2 yo out of there!

And, I am ot being sarcastic or gross or synical but let's face it, what makes Carnival and other lines think that the potty trained 10 year olds aren't already contaminating thier pools? I rather have it contained n a swim diaper.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Beginner

Default Re: kiddie pool, etc.

These are exactly what I have been wondering - okay, so there are drains in the deck to empty the pool. More than likely you are not going to have the pool right by the drain and you are not going to be able to carry the pool to the drain so I expect people just spill the water onto the deck so it can run into the drain, right? Well now all that "contamination" is spread all over the deck for us all to walk in - I would rather just keep it in the pool where atleast the pool pump/filter is working????

I am sure I am just overthinking the whole situation - I will just pack a blow up pool and see how things go. But in all honesty, I will probably just take her to the kiddie area to play in the water and take my chances with the "pool police" - the worst that will happen is they will ask us to leave the area with her. (I am sure I won't be the only one!) If that is the case we will just go get the blow up pool and go that route. In talking with our cruise agent I get the impression that while that is the policy - it is not heavily policed in the kids area.

Happy Cruising to all!!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Perhaps I should post this on the carnival forum...maybe someone has been on there reccently with a toddler and has the scoop!
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Yeoman

I was on Liberty of the Seas in Feb. and they have a small splash area for tots in diapers. It's a separate area but right next to the H20 Zone (water play area.)

The reason that DCL and now Liberty can offer these kids areas for those in diapers is that they have a separate filtration system. Thus, if a diaper explodes or contaminates the area, they just shut down the small splash area and not the whole pool or big water play area.

DCL's water play area for those in diapers is better/larger than RCI's but I know cost is a factor.

Smooth sailing,
Lusia Frey Gaynor
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Yeoman

I was on Liberty of the Seas in Feb. and they have a small splash area for tots in diapers. It's a separate area but right next to the H20 Zone (water play area.)

The reason that DCL and now Liberty can offer these kids areas for those in diapers is that they have a separate filtration system. Thus, if a diaper explodes or contaminates the area, they just shut down the small splash area and not the whole pool or big water play area.

DCL's water play area for those in diapers is better/larger than RCI's but I know cost is a factor.

Smooth sailing,
Lusia Frey Gaynor
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgaynor

Smooth sailing,
Lusia Frey Gaynor
Just wondering if any of you have been on the Pride of Aloha which will be the Norwegian Sky and wondering if toddlers in swimmy diapers will be allowed in the Splashes childrens pool area???
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Beginner

I am wondering about the Sky as well! The cruise consultant who book our cruise for us said yes to the kiddie pool with swim diapers, but I am not sure after the reading. I have been doing.

Mine will be almost 3 in august and now I am thinking we will have to cancel. There is no way I can take her sister and brother to the splash zone and leave her behind. she is almost potty trained (I just have to remind her constantly) but I fear she will say no because she does not want to leave the pool. I am not really worried about the messy kind of accident, she has that one under control!!

I have no desire to take her to the big pool (or my other children for that matter). My kids are crazy around water so they will only make a lot of noise so I want to keep them in the kids area.

I am thinking about getting one of those bathing suits that have a swim diaper built in (and one with a skit) and hope that no one notices since it is part of the suit.

Anyone have any luck with those??
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yeoman

Since you have until August, your daughter might just be fully trained by then. If not, is she at the point where she probably would be able to catch herself before an accident happens? I'd hate to see you cancel the cruise when you're so close!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Thanks Luisa!

We Decided to change to an 8 Day Carnival in February 2009. When the IN-LAWS heard we were taking a cruise they all wanted to come, it is kinda snow balled to a big family trip for the 10 of us! So we had to change the date to fit everyone!

Now if she is not potty trained by then, I have bigger issues than peeing in the pool!! !

But thanks for the response!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Yeoman

Good choice since the youth program at Carnival does not require kid to be potty trained -- and the youth counselors are the only ones at sea who change diapers!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is not just Carnival and RCI that do not allow swim diapers in pools, it is ALL cruiselines. I do agree that a 10 yr old can just as easily pee in a pool as toddler, but a 10 yr old is less likely to poop or have their diaper disintegrate. Most of the big ships now will have play areas or fountain areas for disper babies but never a pool. They do have these on separate filtration like one of the other posters mentioned. The only ships with this play area that I know of that do short cruises are Disney and RCI Independance ( FL this winter). Neither will be cheap. Just book a cheap RCI or Carnival one and bring the kiddie pool.
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Default ARGH - what no little ones in pools - help

HI must be naive no idea that they didn't allow little ones in pools on Carnival Victory- teach me to rush into things. Please can someone help me and let me know whether this is policed as my boy is totally water mad and will be 16 months when we go next Feb. This could ruin our holiday which is a very special holiday costing vast amount of money. Can't really bring blow up pool as coming from UK and he will just run out of it. Please help with advice someone.
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yeoman

Yes, that is the sad truth on most cruise ships -- b/c of health dept. codes, there is no swimming in pools for those in diapers. The only ones who have splash areas w/ different filtration systems for little ones are the Disney ships and RCI's big ships like Independence of the Seas.

Keep in mind, however, that there are no lifeguards at the pools keeping watch...

SOrry to be the bearer of negative news!

Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgaynor
Keep in mind, however, that there are no lifeguards at the pools keeping watch...
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
I think it's terribly irresponsible to even suggest that someone try to "sneak" their untrained child into a pool where it is clearly prohibited. The prohibition is there for a very good reason. One "accident" (I'm talking poop here, of course) could send e-coli into the pool. This can kill a small child - and, yes, it has happened - there's a waterpark that had to completely close down a couple of years ago because of this. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be the one whose child became seriously ill or died because of a selfish parent who felt the rules didn't apply to them.