Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Default Sit 'n' Stroll on a cruise?

We are planning a family cruise for next summer and my youngest will have just turned 3. I was thinking about buying a Sit'n'Stroll, but didn't know if it was worth the money. We'd definitely use it on the plane and getting from the airport to the port. Anyone ever bring one on a cruise and was it useful?
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yeoman

Do you mean those strollers that double as a car seat?

If so, keep in mind that if you are AND if you are going to a warm weather destination, you'll want a stroller with some kind of top/awning to shade the sun from your little one. I don't think the combo stroller/car seats offer that.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Not sure what a sit n stroll is? We just purchased Maclaren Volos for our 5 and 6 year old (used Graco umbrellas last year which were not heavy duty enough for our purposes). The Maclarens have retractable shade cover, are light weight, hold up to 55 pounds (so if you plan more trips, you'll get your use out of them), have an underseat storage area, and have handles that are at the perfect height and angle to push for both myself and my husband. They do not have a recline feature but have a breathable back (perfect in hot weather), are easy to set and fold up, come in lighter colors so they aren't absorbing sun, and really handle great. I jogged with my 5 year old in one with no problem. My only complaint- they don't do well in the sand but nothing does really. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Admiral

SitNStrolls do have a sun shade and would be fine. However, since your child is 3, be aware the sit n stroll is only for children up to 40 pounds, so chances are you would probably not get too many opportunities to use it before your little one will be ready for a booster seat. I have a sit n stroll and as I recall it was not inexpensive. If your child is about ready for a booster seat, you might consider an umbrella stroller and a lightweight backless booster seat. During the stroller years we just put a bungee cord on the back of the stroller and would hang the backless booster back there by the arm rests and it worked great. We put the backless booster in a large oversized ziplock bag and check it with our lugage when we would fly. The nicest thing about the umbrella stroller is how easy it is to store in a compact room like what you find on most cruise ships, a Sit N Stroll will not be as easy to store.