Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yeoman

Default Who's going on a family cruise this summer?

Just wanted to see who's cruising where this summer with their kids.

If you are, please share with readers what kind of promotion you've received and if you are flying to your destination or driving. With the challenging economy, it's helpful to other readers to know what good deals are available for families. And it's helpful for me to know if more families are opting for destinations they can drive to due to the economy.

Thanks and...

...Smooth Sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Admiral

We are taking our 30 yr old and his family this May on the Mariner. He was 11 yrs old the last time we cruised together. Our granddaughter will only be 7 months but we will have fun anyway. We booked them in January at regular rates but just today we checked and they were offering military rates so we called and saved over $500 on one cabin! Maybe we should surprise them and change their cabin to an oceanview..hmmmm

We bought a small blow up pool for the baby, will get an umbrella stroller and bring an extra pack and play or our cabin. Any more tips for cruising with an infant?

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Beginner

I'm booking (probably today) a 12 day NCL cruise to Northern Europe departing 6/27. They have a great deal running through Sunday (March 15) where the 3rd-4th person in a room is only $99-149. They also have onboard credits when you book before then. My husband, daughter (who will be 21 mos then) and I will be going.
We're really looking forward to it but are interested to see how our daughter will do. We know she won't be able to be involved in the kid's programs since she isn't 2. Does anyone know if NCL allows parents to go into the kids area with kids under 2? If not, we'll still have a good time. She's a pretty good traveler. For example she did a 2 week trip to NYC/Philadelphia/Boston/Niagara Falls with us last year at 10 mos and did great. Hoping for the best!
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
We bought a small blow up pool for the baby, will get an umbrella stroller and bring an extra pack and play or our cabin. Any more tips for cruising with an infant?
Teresa:
This is my first time cruising with an infant/toddler too but one great tool we used when we took our daughter (10 months old at the time) on vacation last year was a PeaPod travel bed. It's a bed for infants that looks like a little tent. We bought ours on Amazon but I know they are sold other places too. A couple reasons we liked it so well: it's really light - only 7 lbs or so and folds up into a circle about 15 inches in diameter and 3-4 inches tall. If you have to fly to get to your cruise it's nice not to have to lug a pack-n-play along; it's easy to set up and take down so if you want a little more room in your cabin during the day that is nice; it has flaps on each side that can be open or closed if you want less light to come in. I had our daughter try it a couple times at home before we went on our trip and she did great in it. Just a thought... Have a great time!!!
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Passenger

I stumbled across a great deal on the Monarch and Majesty of the Seas 3 night Bahamas cruises on RCI. $169 pp for inside! It turned out to be less expensive to book 2 side by side staterooms than 1! Only drawback is that it is only 3 nts...but any number of nights on a cruise is better than a night at work!! And since it's the first time for our kids to cruise, and one of the is going to be only 6 months old, we felt like the 3 night was perfect. We booked Monarch for our family after sailing on Majesty in Feb.

The rates have increased since the day I booked, but they are still pretty inexpensive.

We also looked at NCL's Sky 4 nts out of Miami. We were quoted a price of $1054 for an OV cabin for 4. Not too shabby! We chose the RCI cruise only because we have never sailed any line but RCI and were unsure what to expect on other lines.
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Yeoman

Glad to hear some of you are taking advantage of the amazingly low cruise rates out there!

For the family cruising to Europe: NCL does n't allow parents to supervise their tots under 2 in their programming/kids' room. Princess is one of the few that does allow this.Too bad...

For the family cruising with the infant: Read on the main family cruising page the article I wrote about cruising with infants. Should be helpful.

smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

My husband and I are planning to book a Caribbean cruise shortly. We are planning for my parents who live in England to come with us. The challenge this time will be that we have a 6 month old baby son.

I'm really looking forward to the family experience. We are both from England but have been living in NY state since mid February. We are currently visiting my parents back in England, Devon and they are over the moon with the new addition to our family. He's our first child and their fourth grandkid.

I'm aware that we will not have as much freedom as in previous trips but I still look forward to the experience. It's also a nice treat for my mum and dad. Dan, my husband has known the family since much before we started seeing each other (was one of my brother's best friend at school) and it should be good for them to catch up

We are likely to book a Carnival cruise due to their babysitting facilities and the fact that they accept very young children on board. However, we are still open to suggestions. Very much so in fact.

We are likely to drive to NY more due to convenience than actual costs, since parking is likely to be also pricey.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yeoman

If you're looking for babysitting, go with Royal Caribbean. THey have private, in room babysitters. On the other hand, Carnival only has group babysitting in the morning of port days and after 10 pm. at night.

Also, Royal Caribbean has interactive 45-minute play sessions for babies (6 to 36 months) and their caregivers, on a daily basis.

Let me know what you decide. (Royal Caribbean sails from Bayonne, NJ -- right near NYC).

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor