CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Where to cruise with 2yo? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/363003-where-cruise-2yo.html)

calihannah March 30th, 2009 04:28 PM

Where to cruise with 2yo?

We are considering a cruise this spring and are probably going to book something fairly last-minute (there seems to be some remnant inventory given the economy). We have a 2yo DD (will be 25/26 months at the time of the cruise) and are wondering what locations/cruiselines/specific boats might be good. She travels with us a LOT and is super-flexible when it comes to sleeping crazy places, going everywhere with us etc.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Kamloops Cruiser March 30th, 2009 05:45 PM

It would depend a lot on where you want to travel and where you live.

If you have a long flight your two yr old might still have a problem

with time change.

I would look into a cruise that will have a lot of kids.(Disney) is one.

Otherwise I don't have any ideas, personally I would not take

a 2 yr old on a cruise . This is based on how my two kids travelled.

Both are now 25+.

Nicnme April 1st, 2009 05:43 PM

We took our DD on her first cruise at almost 4. She was great. Loved everything. We have only done Carnival. Had no trouble. The kids camp was great! We were on the Fascination. As it is an older ship, the rooms were "cozy". We are booked in November on the Pride with our DD and DS (he will be just shy of 3). Looking forward to "seeing" the cruise through their eyes :shock:
Personally, unless you found a super deal with Disney, I wouldn't even consider them. Of course, the prices may have come down since I looked when taking DD last year. Carnival is great for kids and I don't see why people talk of Carnival as the party line. Yes during spring break you have lots of college kids but over all, a great time!
Best of luck!!!

lfgaynor April 6th, 2009 04:43 PM

Of course you should consider taking your 2 year old! My kids have been cruising since they were 7 months old and loved each cruise.

I recommend either Carnival or NCL b/c they both accept kids 2 years and older in their youth programs. Carnival's counselors change diapers while NCL's don't. With NCL, you can't leave the ship while your child in diapers is in the youth program b/c you will be paged if a dirty diaper needs to be changed.

Let us know what you decide.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor

calihannah April 6th, 2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfgaynor
Of course you should consider taking your 2 year old! My kids have been cruising since they were 7 months old and loved each cruise.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We have decided to do a land-based trip to Scandinavia for this May, but we will be trying a cruise for our next vacation after that. We really wanted to cruise, but it seemed like our goals for destinations didn't quite match up to what was best to do during May :oops:

Thanks again!

lfgaynor April 14th, 2009 01:25 PM

...and if you do a cruise next year, you'll have a lot more options in regards to youth programs for your daughter who would be 3 years old then and hopefully potty trained!

smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor