Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Default Carnival~ Un-supervised activities for 9 yr old group??!!

Carnival~ UN-supervised activities for the 9 yr old goup??!! I read on a different website that a mom was concerned about the number of UN-supervised activities for the 9-11 yr old age group at Camp Carnival. She said that because she would NOT allow her 9 yr old to participate in any un-supervised activities (such as scavenger hunts), there were many Camp Carnival activities that her 9 yr old had to miss. Does anyone know anything about this? We will be sailing on a 7 day cruise on Carnival Glory in November, but I don't think I want my 9 yr old running around the ship without supervision either (during his Camp Carnival time).
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Yeoman

I don't recall that many unsupervised activities on Carnival. They, like most lines, have the very popular scavenger hunts which are not supervised for the older kids as you mention. I don't think you'll be lacking in activities for your kids on board a Carnival ship -- both supervised as well as activities/water fun/etc. that you can do with them as a family.

Let us know what you decide.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Yeoman

I don't recall that many unsupervised activities on Carnival. They, like most lines, have the very popular scavenger hunts which are not supervised for the older kids as you mention. I don't think you'll be lacking in activities for your kids on board a Carnival ship -- both supervised as well as activities/water fun/etc. that you can do with them as a family.

Let us know what you decide.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Captain

We have cruised Carnival a number of times with our kids and didn't encounter issues with the unsupervised activities, they appeared to be few and far between. The scavenger hunt is interesting because while it is technically unsupervised, yours kids will inevitably be hunting you down to get assistance with various items. I think it lasts less than 45 minutes and they are encouraged to form groups of at least two and I do believe that the last time, they were encouraged to take part with a parent. We are the type who like to always know where our kids are and what they are doing and we were very comfortable with Camp Carnival. Hope this helps.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
Beginner

We are cruising on October 31st and debating on taking our 9yo and 12yo. We were thinking about getting walky talkys so we could keep in touch with the kiddos and they could call us anytime. Has anybody tried this.
I was also wondering if anybody knows what age groups the kids are seperated into. I would love it if our 9 and 12yo could stick together.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Hi, I got your email question. On the carnival Glory, I think the age group is 9-11 yr olds. I've been emailing the head of the children's program on the Glory to see if my 9 year old can be in a group with his 6 year old brother and in the middle of our congenial, on-going "discussion" about this (via email), she stopped emailing me. She originally said they do not allow kids to change age groups (unlike Royal Carribbean who are very flexible in this area). Also, for the 9-11 year old group, there are indeed UN-supervised scavenger hunts around the boat everyday where kids are allowed out of the club, on their own, (if their parents agree) to go around the ship gathering signatures, ect.. and then bring those items back to the club. She said if I'm not comfortable with that, then my 9 year old can stay at the club and not be released to participate in the scavenger hunt. I guess we'll just avoid the kid's club during that time of day. If you go to carnival.com, you can access a link that has a list of sample activities that they have available for the various age groups of children. Have fun!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Beginner

Default thanks for responding

Thanks for responding. I guess I will wait till we actually get on boat and find out more about the scavenger hunt. Maybe we will do that one with the kids that day or just do something else with them during that time.

Any info on babysitting later in the evening if we want to stay out late a night or two?
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Captain

Default Re: thanks for responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguerra
Thanks for responding. I guess I will wait till we actually get on boat and find out more about the scavenger hunt. Maybe we will do that one with the kids that day or just do something else with them during that time.

Any info on babysitting later in the evening if we want to stay out late a night or two?
I would recommend that you join your child on the scavenger hunt, it really is a good time.

We use the babysitting service one night on most of our longer cruises, if I recall correctly it is about $8-10per hour per child and they go to camp carnival in their pjs, they watch movies and play quiet games or read stories. There is a difference between these nights of babysitting and the kids slumber parties. The slumber parties have more fun activities and the focus is "party", the babysitting is more sedate and very likely your child will be highly encouraged to sleep. I think the babysitting starts at 10 and goes to 3 AM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

You can likely ask around here or google to find Camp Carnival Capers for the 9-11 age group on the ship you are interested in sailing. This will give you a better idea of what to expect, and what activities will be offered. I too would not be comfortable in my 9 year old being unsupervised on a ship, regardless of whether or not he is paired with other kids.
Our last Carnival Cruise, my husband accompanied d/s on the scavenger hunt and everything was great fun. So adapt to acomodate the activities and your own comfort level. I know there will be plenty of supervised activities for your child to participate in as well.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
First Mate

This past cruise (on RC) was the first time our son (who will be 11 in Sept) was able to join in on the Hunt.

He was in a group of 5 kids and if they seperated for ANY reason their team would not be able to participate in any other activities of this nature.

They were unsupervised BUT all their clues were in very public places where they could all be seen. Usually several groups at a time were in the same vacinity.

I would suggest you wait till you are onboard and have the sign up night q/a session. Ask then, you'll also help some other parents I'm sure by doing so and you'll get your answer.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yeoman

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice and comments!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor