Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Beginner

Default Shore excursions-Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya?

I have a 6 yr old and 9 yr old boy. Can anyone recommend shore excursions in Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya for our family? We will be sailing on Carnival Glory in November 2009. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yeoman

In Cozumel, there are plenty of beaches you can go to independently via cab or go on a group shore excursion. There is also a lively folkloric show w/dancing and costumes.

Anyone have any suggestions for Belize?

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Passenger

When my daughter was 8 or 9 we did the zipline in Belize, loved it!

Tulum is a great trip in Coz - lots of walking. Also Chankanaab National Park is great, dolphin encounter is worth the money too but the whole park is nice. You can do this with the cruise line or on you own.

Costa Maya we did the pool there at the port, kids had fun and we just had drinks and realxed.
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Captain

My kids were not crazy about Costa Maya but we made the best of it by swimming at the pier and taking a local bus to the market down the beach.

In Belize the first time we did the zip line, they loved it but were completely exhausted by mid-afternoon, it was better for our older daughter but our then 7 year old passed out cold at 5 pm and slept until the next morning at 9. It is very physical for a small child. The second time we did the cave tubing. This was totally awesome and a great experience for all, our family group had everyone from 5- 76 yrs old and we all enjoyed ourselves. The only words of warning are that the hike into the river can be strenuous and is a decent length of walk on uneven terrain.

My kids love cozumel. We sometimes rent a VW bug in multicolors and we hit the various beaches around the island. Inland there are also some smaller ruins sites, which in my opinion were better for a family with younger kids, the sites were not busy, the site was large enough to be cool and small enough that we got to see it all before their attention span had departed. Encourage your kids to take backpacks that hold all of their items because most things will have to be carried with you wherever you go.
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Default questions for 2littletime & lfgaynor :-)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! We are getting very excited even though it's still 6 1/2 months away! I have a couple questions:

For 2littletime: In Costa Maya, can you please tell me more about the "market down the beach"? You said you took a local bus. What is the market called? How much was bus fare? How long did you spend there? Is the bus stop near where our ship docks? You also wrote about swimming at the pier. Is that also where the ship docks and is it a beach or pool? Is there a cost?

For lfgaynor: Can you please tell me more about the folkloric show in Cozumel? Did you arrange that privately or through Carnival's shore excursions? How far from the ship was it, how did you get there, and how much did it cost?

Thanks again everyone!
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Captain

Default Re: questions for 2littletime & lfgaynor :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy'sMom
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! We are getting very excited even though it's still 6 1/2 months away! I have a couple questions:

For 2littletime: In Costa Maya, can you please tell me more about the "market down the beach"? You said you took a local bus. What is the market called? How much was bus fare? How long did you spend there? Is the bus stop near where our ship docks? You also wrote about swimming at the pier. Is that also where the ship docks and is it a beach or pool? Is there a cost?

For lfgaynor: Can you please tell me more about the folkloric show in Cozumel? Did you arrange that privately or through Carnival's shore excursions? How far from the ship was it, how did you get there, and how much did it cost?

Thanks again everyone!
Hi There,

At the pier their are some shops and in the center of the pier area there is a large swimming pool with a swim up bar if that is your thing. The kids enjoyed the pool, there is no cost and when we were there there was no pressure to buy drinks while swimming. The buses were waiting at the end of the pier area, they took you down the main road to the beach at Majahual (sp??) it took maybe 10 minutes. I think it was $6 for our family and we were two adults, a teen and a tot. We were going to take the bus back but we ended up walking the beach instead it took about an hour to wander back. The only complaint we had about the beach is that there is a lot of seaweed in many areas (YUCK). At the beach there is a market, the prices were better than at the pier and they were more willing to barter. Against all good advice we ate at a little restaurant on the beach, the food was AWESOME, and we were fine. I think including souveniers we may have spent $75 the whole day. Hope that helps.
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Default Thank you!

Thank you 2littletime! I wrote down all your tips!
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yeoman

The folkloric show is offered as a shore excurion on most cruise lines. How old are your kids? My daughter was around 6 years old when she went and enjoyed it.

I do NOT suggest taking kids to Tulum -- it's a VERY long, hot day and the kids will whine too much. One of the times we called in Cozumel, my husband did something w/my daughter and I went to Tulum on a shore excursion alone. Good call -- I enjoyed it but some older folks passed out from the heat/long day!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Beginner

My boys will be 6 and 9 years old. The folkloric show sounds like a lot of fun! We will definitely look into that! Thank you!
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

go to Caribbean Shore Tours they have family friendly tours available. Great beach breaks in Cozumel and the Dune Buggy tour is also a lot of fun. There is a Belize Kids Cave Tubing trip and also Belize Zoo.