CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   flu:will you take small children on cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/364027-flu-will-you-take-small-children-cruise.html)

bsoper May 2nd, 2009 10:05 AM

flu:will you take small children on cruise?

I was wondering what other families are doing with this flu situation. We are booked for a may 16th 5 nite cruise that will go to to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We have a 5 year old and I am concerned about being on a crowded ship with a child who will probably put her fingers in her mouth inadvertantly. RC will not drop rebooking penalties.

What are other families doing?

Thanks

lfgaynor May 5th, 2009 01:24 PM

WHile this has to be your personal decision, I am not one to panic and cancel travel. I figure that I have as great a chance of some mishap/disease here at home in the NY-NJ metropolitan area as I do on the road.

Perhaps you should carry lots of Purel around to keep cleaning your child's hands rather than cancel the cruise. Ultimiately, though, it has to be your decision and what you're most comfortable with.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor

CA Cruiser May 5th, 2009 01:29 PM

We are taking our 7 month old granddaughter. Her mom is a nurse and is not worried especially since our itinerary was changed to the Pacific Coast. We are just glad to get away.

vi reynolds June 17th, 2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfgaynor
WHile this has to be your personal decision, I am not one to panic and cancel travel. I figure that I have as great a chance of some mishap/disease here at home in the NY-NJ metropolitan area as I do on the road.

Perhaps you should carry lots of Purel around to keep cleaning your child's hands rather than cancel the cruise. Ultimiately, though, it has to be your decision and what you're most comfortable with.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor

I agree with you. We live in NY state but are currently in England visiting family. Both countries have the flu. I can be an overanxious parent (my six month old is our first) but I also take the view that you can't stop living just because of fear. He could contract the flu anywhere I guess... I'll just have to be extra careful.

MamaGalloway July 5th, 2009 05:00 AM

I did take my 2 children, ages 6 months at the time and 7 years, with me on 2 cruises in May, when swine flu was first being reported. My kids were fine. I'm also not one to panic, but I am VERY germophobic. I'm a healthcare worker and hand hygiene is something that I do habitually, and have taught my older son and dh. Just teach the kids to wash, wash, wash and keep lots of hand sanitizer with you. WE had our own bottles in the stroller, diaper bag, etc. and used the ships' hand stations constantly. If the kids wash their hands before eating, it will cut down on the incidence of illness. Good luck!

vi reynolds August 18th, 2009 12:25 AM

Myself and my husband are from England and currently live in NY state. Dan (husband) booked a Carnival Eastern Caribbean cruise for us, my parents and our 6 month old baby. It was fine despite the strong sun etc. We were very prepared in terms of baby sunblock etc. The flu thing is over NY, England and everywhere so my point of view was that if God wanted to take my little one it could happen anywhere, but that's just me hun, I'm am optimist.

Hand Sanitizer Dispenser April 8th, 2011 07:39 AM

Handsanitizer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsoper (Post 1215657)
I was wondering what other families are doing with this flu situation. We are booked for a may 16th 5 nite cruise that will go to to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We have a 5 year old and I am concerned about being on a crowded ship with a child who will probably put her fingers in her mouth inadvertantly. RC will not drop rebooking penalties.

What are other families doing?

Thanks

I prefer to go in cruise with full family, but you should take precaution regarding health. You should have proper protection such as Respirator, Gloves, Handsanitizer etc in order to protect from flues and bacteria that affects virally. If you are having all precautionary things with you then there is no harm going to cruise.

Queen of Oakville May 9th, 2011 10:18 AM

My kids are 5 and 3. We sailed a few months back on Eurodam and the were preparing for a noro outbreak. The cruiselines handle this quite well. They stop all access to food service utensils/drinks etc. and have crew stationed at all these areas, including those dispensing hand sanitizer at the entrances.

I was soooooo worried that my kids would get something, but we were fine.

I will note that I am a fanatic with the hand sanitizer, and was santizing them constantly!.