Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Familiar Face

Default Has anyone ever taken a travel swing?

I know this sounds utterly ridiculous, but my 6 month old baby is unable to sleep flat for medical reasons. At home he sleeps in his bouncy seat or a swing. Has anyone ever brought along a travel swing? I'm thinking it would be easier than a bouncy because it folds up pretty flat. The only drawback is that it doesn't fit inside our suitcase.

We were also thinking about bringing along our Bumbo seat, since I'm not sure the dining room high chairs with the low backs would work for him. It is very lightweight, maybe half a pound at most, and fits inside the suitcase.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would say, if you can bring it and it will help the baby sleep, go ahead. You didn't mention if you were flying in for the cruise or not? That may be the only drawback, paying extra to fly with it, not sure if its worth the price of an extra piece of luggage since it doesn't fit??

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for your reply, Donna. No, we are not flying. We will be enjoying a 10 hour drive with two children!
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow Mama,
I bet you will all be happy when you see that ship sitting there, waiting to cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Yeoman

As long as you can pack it up, go for it! Keep in mind that luggage gets thrown in huge bins pier side and then delivered to your stateroom once you're on board. The only things you can carry into the passenger terminal with you are things that can fit through the security belts (like an airport) or a stroller.

ALso, what size cabin do you have? If it's an inside, it might be hard fitting the opened swing in there. Maybe you want to check out the cabin dimensions online or through the cruise line's res department to make sure.

Pls. let us know how it worked out post cruise!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Familiar Face

Donna, I don't think I have ever been so happy to see a ship in my life!

I did end up taking the travel swing, and it was fine. It's not much bigger than a bouncy seat but folds almost flat. We were allowed to carry the swing on on RCI but decided for convenience to check it on Carnival. The Bumbo seat did not go, and I was glad I left it once we settled into our tiny cabins on RCI. The Bumbo seat did not go, and I was glad I left it once we settled into our tiny cabins on RCI. We bought a cheapo Cosco brand stroller from Target that had more space and features than an umbrella stroller but was very small and folded almost as small as an umbrella stroller. We fed the baby solid foods in the stroller most of the time.

We had 2 inside cabins on the Monarch OTS. We had the cabin steward remove one of the beds in that cabin and used the space to store our luggage, as the closets were too small to accomodate a suitcase. In tour OV on the Carnival Imagination, the swing fit perfectly under the vanity area when it wasn't in use, and we still had space to get around when it was in use. It was the best choice.
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yeoman

Yes, if I had known you were sailing Monarch b/4 the cruise, I would have advised against it. Glad though you had two cabins. Monarch has some of the smallest cabins at sea.

Tnx for the info.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned from the Mariner with our 7 month GD and we took the baby walker, we weren't flying. It collapsed and we had the perfect box to check it in. I told the porter what it was and please treat it carefully while handing him a nice tip. We used it every day in the cabins for feedings and containment while everyone was getting ready.
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yeoman

Wow -- that is a first! Glad to hear it worked out -- thanks for sharing! I didn't realize that walkers could collapse...good to know!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor