Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Single mother cruising with 13 year old daughter

My daughter and I are going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel for Spring Break but I've read that their could be problems unless I have a notorized letter from her father allowing her to travel with only me. The problem I have is that her father is no longer in the picture and I do not know how to reach him. I do have a passport for her and I do have full physical custody of her. Short of faking a document, what should I do? Does customs really check those papers? What could happen? I find it hard to believe that single parents always are able to get a paper from an ex or in the case of a death do they bring the death certificate?

Thanks for your help with this. I so want to have everthing perfect when I get there so that there are not any glitches in paperwork that keeps us from traveling.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Yeoman

This is difficult to answer b/c I've had personal experience both ways.

For years, I've cruised with my children without their father and always carried a signed, notarized letter from their father. However, last year I did not and wouldn't you know it, we had difficulties at the pier upon check in from NCL! I had to call my children's father from the pier and get him to fax some kind of written consent to take them out of the country. I have a friend who could not board a plane to Mexico with his daughter b/c he didn't have written permission from her mother.

So while the odds have very much been in my favor of NOT being asked for paperwork (we cruise many times a year and were only asked once for the paperwork), it was a hassle the time I was asked and did not have them. The main reason they ask is to reduce kidnapping kids into a foreigh country.

It's totally your decision but perhaps you want to consult a lawyer so that you can get a document that you can use each time? You may find what you need at: www.forms4parents.com.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Thank you so much. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to xitappers2bx
Default Re: Single mother cruising with 13 year old daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami.briner@gmail.com
My daughter and I are going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel for Spring Break but I've read that their could be problems unless I have a notorized letter from her father allowing her to travel with only me. The problem I have is that her father is no longer in the picture and I do not know how to reach him. I do have a passport for her and I do have full physical custody of her. Short of faking a document, what should I do? Does customs really check those papers? What could happen? I find it hard to believe that single parents always are able to get a paper from an ex or in the case of a death do they bring the death certificate?

Thanks for your help with this. I so want to have everthing perfect when I get there so that there are not any glitches in paperwork that keeps us from traveling.

i had no problem taking my daughter without a letter from her father... her passport was enough and i didnt mention... since you need to have a letter or something from the father to get the passport, im assuming they didnt question it. goodluck, as my daughters father has also fallen off the face of the earth and totally unfindable, i can imagine it's a PITA.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yeoman

As I mentioned, I've cruised/traveled 100s of times without a problem. However I was questioned recently for the paperwork and would have been pretty upset if I was not allowed to cruise b/c of documentation from my kids' father.

A pain I know...but as you said, worth it!

Good luck,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor