CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Stroller? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/368607-stroller.html)

kimbo October 8th, 2009 01:46 PM

Stroller?

We will be bringing the 10month old on our cruise next week. I was wondering what everyone's experience is with strollers.
Should I bring the big one...I like it because it has the reclining seat, awning, basket underneath for supplies, a tray for feeding, and a cup holder for me. It easily colapses and moves around. Or the umbrella stroller that has an awning. Has anyone brought the big stroller? Did you have any issues?
We will be driving to the port.

Oh and for those who travel with babies...did you bring thier carseat? We plan to take her to a beach one day so we will be in a taxi or bus at grand cayman. But not sure if they have seatbelts?
Thanks!
Kim

lv2b@sea October 8th, 2009 04:33 PM

We took the big one for our 7 mo GD including the car seat because it attaches to the stroller. It was very convenient and easily stored in the corner at dinner in the FDR. It was also nice to have when she took naps by the pool. We didn't like the idea of an umbrella because it didn't recline far enough. We also took her walker, packed in a box, very convenient while getting ready in the cabin. Enjoy!

kimbo October 9th, 2009 06:44 AM

thanks im going to bring the big one. I jus hope I dont foget to take it out of the van, !!!

Mike M October 9th, 2009 12:29 PM

Kimbo,

We have traveled with this "Jeep" reclining umbrella stroller. It's been used for both of our grandkids and it was great. It reclines, has a shade and worked for the kids up until two. The kids had no problem napping in it for hours.

I believe you can still find it at Wal-Mart. It is listed online.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03...41_215X215.jpg

It is comfortable and MUCH easier to handle on planes than the regular stroller.

In regards to the car-seat. You may wish to bring it. Most cabs don't have seatbelts.

Take care,
Mike

kimbo October 9th, 2009 01:24 PM

Thanks Mike,that looks perfect. Not sure if I want to spend anything extra getting ready to go. I will check out maybe the second hand shops and see what they have. Our big one folds up nicely. I told my DH I plan to pack the big one and he cringed. We only plan to do a beach day at one port with the baby. Then Key west we will be either staying on the boat or strolling the near by streets.

Thanks for the heads up about the seatbelts/carseat!
Kim

lv2b@sea October 9th, 2009 02:53 PM

We 'almost" bought the same stroller but would still have to bring the carseat. With the big one, the carseat was part of the stroller most of the time because she was a 'little' 7 month old. We did buy a blow up pool at WalMart and it worked out good for her. Just be sure to bring a kids bucket to use to put water in the pool.

lfgaynor October 21st, 2009 10:59 AM

Just keep in mind that with the big stroller, it's going to take up a fair amount of space in your cabin, which will already be tight with the crib/pack 'n play. (I assumedy you pre-ordered one, right?). Also, you'll have to by-pass more elevator rides with a big stroller b/c it'll be harder to fit the stroller, you and other folks in the elevator. Just wanted to point this out since I've been there, done that!

Also, while I totally feel best when my kids are in car seats, keep in mind you'll have to lug it around the beach while you're there. If you do take it -- and it totally has to be based on your comfort level -- you can ask your steward to store it for you. Then ask him the night b/4 you need it to get it out for you.

Let us know how it all goes!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor

MamaGalloway October 23rd, 2009 11:10 AM

We took our kids, ages 6 months and 7 years, with us this spring. We decided against the big stroller and instead bought a small Costco Juvenile stroller at target. It has many of the features of our big stroller- a basket underneath, reclining seat, canopy, nice little storage area for a cup and keys or other small items on the handle, and a small tray for the baby with a place for a cup. It was perfect! You will find it is difficult to get an elevator and the smaller stroller fits better in tight places. Our baby went to dinner in his little stroller and never left it. He was so happy in that stroller because he could see everything, unlike in the big stroller with the car seat in use. Also, there was ZERO space to store a car seat in our cabins, and we had 2 adjoining cabins!

MamaGalloway October 23rd, 2009 11:10 AM

We took our kids, ages 6 months and 7 years, with us this spring. We decided against the big stroller and instead bought a small Costco Juvenile stroller at target. It has many of the features of our big stroller- a basket underneath, reclining seat, canopy, nice little storage area for a cup and keys or other small items on the handle, and a small tray for the baby with a place for a cup. It was perfect! You will find it is difficult to get an elevator and the smaller stroller fits better in tight places. Our baby went to dinner in his little stroller and never left it. He was so happy in that stroller because he could see everything, unlike in the big stroller with the car seat in use. Also, there was ZERO space to store a car seat in our cabins, and we had 2 adjoining cabins!

Russell in MD October 25th, 2009 07:33 PM

We traveled with our little ones last spring.

I HIGHLY recommend the Combi collapsable strollers.

Perfect bridge between the full blown goin-to-the-mall stroller and the umbrella.

http://content.combi-intl.com.asp1-1...-Moonlight.jpg

We got ours 2nd hand off Craigs list for like $30.

R