Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Beginner

Default Toddler logistics

A few questions as we plan a Carnival cruise with our 17-month-old toddler for the first time. We're planning on taking a 4-night Ensenada/Catalina Island cruise from San Diego on th Elation (EDITED W/MORE QUESTIONS):
-- How do you get from the airport to the harbor? Clearly we don't want to bring a carseat with us. Do you just take the tour bus and hold on to your child? Hire a car with a carseat?
-- We have a Bjorn travel crib. Should we bring that or use the cruise ship's crib? What kind of crib do they provide? Is it just a pack and play?
-- What activities are available for the under 2 set? Are we allowed to use the kids area/kids camp room if a parent is there to supervise? Is there a separate play space for toddlers? I know from reading this message board that we won't be able to swim, which is a huge disappointment as our daughter LOVES the water.
-- Do you bring your own kiddie utensils or does the ship offer them? (E.g., plastic plates so that she doesn't throw them on the floor and break them).
-- Do you bring your own milk or is there a ready supply of it on the ship? (Whole milk, preferably). Is there a mini fridge for us to keep a stash in our room, for emergencies?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Can only address quesation #2.

RCCL provided a pack and play last year. Be sure to request it in advance.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Yeoman

It'd be helpful to know which cruise line you are going on/which ship b/c Carnival and RCI for example have some activities/babysitting for 17 month olds but it varies per line.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise editor
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Beginner

We will be taking a Carnival cruise; the ship is the Elation. Thanks!
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Yeoman

Since you are going on Carnival, pls. be aware that they offer group babysitting for your toddler on port mornings as well as after 10 p.m. nightly. You pay an hourly fee and bring diapers for your little one.

All ships have plenty of whole milk for kids. Not sure if Elation has mini-frigs in cabins since it's an older ship -- I'm thinking not. But you should be able to get the milk easily at the buffet or dining room.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to xitappers2bx
Default Re: Toddler logistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetabbymama
A few questions as we plan a Carnival cruise with our 17-month-old toddler for the first time. We're planning on taking a 4-night Ensenada/Catalina Island cruise from San Diego on th Elation (EDITED W/MORE QUESTIONS):
-- How do you get from the airport to the harbor? Clearly we don't want to bring a carseat with us. Do you just take the tour bus and hold on to your child? Hire a car with a carseat?

i would take the carseat... you do want to bring it because if the transportation gets into an accident and the child isn't in a car seat, he/she could get seriously hurt... its just stupid not to take it, and the risk of not having it seriously doesn't outweight the trouble of traveling with it... the airline will check it, its a place for the kid to sit in while waiting for the plane, its a safe place for the kid while getting to port, and you can stow it in a closet. i did it for my (very small) 5 year old this summer and i dont regret hauling it around one bit

-- We have a Bjorn travel crib. Should we bring that or use the cruise ship's crib? What kind of crib do they provide? Is it just a pack and play?
-- What activities are available for the under 2 set? Are we allowed to use the kids area/kids camp room if a parent is there to supervise? Is there a separate play space for toddlers? I know from reading this message board that we won't be able to swim, which is a huge disappointment as our daughter LOVES the water.

the only time the under 2 age group can use camp carnival is during the 2 hours or so when its closed to the other age groups with parental supervision... i believe you can borrow toys from camp carnival, and i think there may be a babysitting option, but i am not 100% sure.

-- Do you bring your own kiddie utensils or does the ship offer them? (E.g., plastic plates so that she doesn't throw them on the floor and break them).

bring your own... its just easier. my daughter broke a few glasses and i felt terrible every time.

-- Do you bring your own milk or is there a ready supply of it on the ship? (Whole milk, preferably). Is there a mini fridge for us to keep a stash in our room, for emergencies?

yes, milk is in ready supply and is pretty easy to get... you can either trek to the buffet area or call room service and just order a carton or two of milk... we would order a few, and then put the extra in the fridge for later.

Thank you!
[/b]
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Yeoman

Here's an article that will give you more details about cruising with little ones under the age of two. SHould be helpful:
At Sea with Kids Under Three; Cruisemates Family Cruising

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor