Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Default help for a newbie who wants to go to alaska

kind of last minute but i'm thinking about doing an alaskan cruise out of seattle this june. i'm a solo parent of a 7 year old. so it would be just the two of us. i've been doing some research and it looks like the choices are princess, norwegian and holland america.

i was leaning towards hal on the oosterdam. i would love some advice for those who have done an alaskan cruise with a 7 year old. she usually doesn't want to go to the kids clubs as she wants to just be with me. which is fine because it won't be long before i won't be able to get her to spend any time with me i'm not ruling out the kids club... im just not holding my breathe.

so suggestions? reviews?

also...the only cruise we've done before was the disney one. i booked that directly with disney. is it best to book through the cruise line?

thanks!

maura
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I think you would be fine with either choice. My personal preference would be to go with NCL. The Freestyle Dining experience will make it easy to accommodate a kid's schedule for eating and it also allows you the maximum time in each port.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

When my kids where 7 , they didn't want to spend a lot of time with us.

They preferred there friends .

HAL or Princess would me my choice to Alaska.

A lot depends on what your child is interested in.

If she like glaciers then Princess or HAL would be the choice.

IF ports probably NCL. You could also consider RCI from Seattle as well .

If airfare isn't an issue , have you considered HAL or Princess from Vancouver.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
First Mate

If she wants to be with you then that is fine and HAL is a good choice as some programs are offered also she will probably find some friends as Alaska is a family destination.
This would allow you to mix with similar families yet still be with or watchful of your child.
There are all kinds of tours that Kids can have fun on like looking for gold, salmon hatchery , train ride, the list is endless and just plain old fashion walking around the town and shops. All are close to the ship.
Alaska Family Vacations and Traveling with Kids in Alaska - What to do in Alaska with your Children

My experience is your TA is your best bet as cruise lines arrange lower rates to large association and they would work with you in your local town.
Have fun..
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/