CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Cruising with a 13 year old~~Help!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/377125-cruising-13-year-old-help.html)

alexandaudreyc September 26th, 2010 01:32 PM

Cruising with a 13 year old~~Help!!!

My hubby and I are going on Conquest 12/12/10 with our daughters (13 and 10), and our son (9). My two youngest will be together in the camp, but my 13 year old will be by herself. I'm just wondering how the camp is for that age group. I tend to be a tad bit overprotective, and I just can't see letting her go off by herself in a ship full of people I don't know. I know that at that age they can check themselves in and out when they want. Is it pretty safe for a 13yo girl? I want her to have fun with people her own age, but just can't seem to imagine how it will all play out? Any suggestions, or advice. I plan on having her carry a walkie-talkie, and I also plan on having set times and areas to meet, but since cell phones don't work on board I'm pretty nervous!! Well, freaking out might be a better way of putting it!!

Donna October 24th, 2010 07:46 AM

There is a good chance, she'll meet a friend her age and be able to do things with. Just have her go to the teen center and meet some kids and go from there. I agree with you, I wouldn't want her to just be able to wonder around the ship by herself.

LisaK October 25th, 2010 10:44 AM

I agree with Donna, chances are she will make friends to hang out with at the teen center, just set down the rules for the teen center, she is to be there at certain times, and if she decides to check out she must contact you, and tell you where she is going, and with who, otherwise there will be consequences

cherryhead March 22nd, 2011 09:34 PM

First of all, leaving the ship on excursions should definitely be a contact time and you should know all of this. you should set a curfew as you likely wont be seing much of her. HOWEVER, if you would like her to meet new friends, and cruising is the perfect way to "learn" how to stand out in a crowd and not have to struggle with friend making as she enters high school or any social situation, DO NOT MAKE HER CARRY AROUND A WALKIE TALKIE. It is like putting a big sign on her back, chest, face, whole body that says: DONT BE FRIENDS WITH ME BECAUSE YOU WILL SEE MY MOM A LOT. even if this is not true, it is the reasoning behind it. kids will automatically think uh-oh, overprotective mom (even though its not overprotective, just protective) dont be friends with her because you are going to have to stop and run into her mom a lot regardless if this is true for you or not, it is what kids will assume. make sure she knows what shes doing and understand that the only way for you to lose her is for her to leave the ship. but you are in the ocean. so i doubt that will happen :)