CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   cruise with 4 yr old on RCCL (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/378456-cruise-4-yr-old-rccl.html)

amyd1972 December 1st, 2010 09:47 PM

cruise with 4 yr old on RCCL

Hello, I booked a 9 night eastern caribbean cruise for march 31,2011 sailing from Cape Liberty NJ with my dh and 4 yr old daughter. I'm starting to wonder if 9 nights is too much for a 4 year old. Also, does anyone know when NY/NJ schools have spring break? I'm wondering if there will be many other children on the cruise or if it will be mostly seniors. This will be our first cruise ever. I have no idea what to expect!

Donna December 2nd, 2010 07:29 AM

Since spring break ranges almost 2 months, check around and see if others will be out of school. I'm sure they will be some kids onboard. Be sure to take your daughter to the kids program, there should be other 4 year olds there too.

Also, read through the section here at Cruisemates on first time cruisers, lots of tips and suggestions.

MrPete December 2nd, 2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyd1972 (Post 1331801)
Hello, I booked a 9 night eastern caribbean cruise for march 31,2011 sailing from Cape Liberty NJ with my dh and 4 yr old daughter. I'm starting to wonder if 9 nights is too much for a 4 year old. Also, does anyone know when NY/NJ schools have spring break? I'm wondering if there will be many other children on the cruise or if it will be mostly seniors. This will be our first cruise ever. I have no idea what to expect!

My now 12 year old has been asking me to take her on a 9 day cruise since she started cruising at 4.

Queen of Oakville December 29th, 2010 11:09 AM

Well, if your 4 year old, is anything like mine, she will LOVE cruising. My daughter loves wearing a party dress to dinner and eating in fancy restaurants .... so cruising is totally up her ally! She'll be five in February and weeks away from her second cruise. She loves it!

My daughter was okay with Camp Carnival. My son hated it. We spent most of the week with our kids, which was fine with us.

I'm guessing you won't find toooo many kids on Royal. While we love Royal, we find it expensive for the little ones.

Iamboatman January 6th, 2011 10:21 PM

I have been cruising with my kids (now 11 and 15) since they were much younger than 4. I am sure you child will be "over the moon" as Royal Caribbean has an excellent kid's club and very good counselors.

Also, I wouldn't worry about how many 4 year olds are onboard...and there will be others...because, as you know, at that age children tend to think about themselves, so with an engaged counselor and a couple of new friends, life will be good.

The one thing I did find when my kids were younger is that they tend to worry about getting back to the kid's club because they are having this or that "favorite" thing. However, at 4 they do tend to get tired so there can be "overload" between the club and time on shore coupled with late nights...for them.

So with a bit of balance it should be a great time. I wouldn't worry.

Queen of Oakville January 7th, 2011 11:21 AM

One more thing I thought of .... if you still have it, bring your stroller. If you don't have, get a cheap umbrella stroller from target. They come in SOOOOO handy at the airport because its a lot of walking. When they want to walk, the carryons go in the stroller and we gate check them.

The strollers are also SO handy for port days, if you want to walk around and shop. Usually they are so exhausted, they get a great nap while we shop. My daughter is a tall four, and in a few months, I'm sure she will look really odd in her stroller, but I don't care. We paid a lot of money for our umbrella strollers, so I'm keeping them at least until our next disney trip.

7x57 January 7th, 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1340532)
One more thing I thought of .... if you still have it, bring your stroller. If you don't have, get a cheap umbrella stroller from target. They come in SOOOOO handy at the airport because its a lot of walking.

My four year old needs every bit of energy burning activity possible. He can pull me around the airport in a wagon.rofl

Queen of Oakville January 7th, 2011 03:44 PM

Note mine, they have their mamma's zest for physical activity.