Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Default cruise with 4 yr old on RCCL

Hello, I booked a 9 night eastern caribbean cruise for march 31,2011 sailing from Cape Liberty NJ with my dh and 4 yr old daughter. I'm starting to wonder if 9 nights is too much for a 4 year old. Also, does anyone know when NY/NJ schools have spring break? I'm wondering if there will be many other children on the cruise or if it will be mostly seniors. This will be our first cruise ever. I have no idea what to expect!
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since spring break ranges almost 2 months, check around and see if others will be out of school. I'm sure they will be some kids onboard. Be sure to take your daughter to the kids program, there should be other 4 year olds there too.

Also, read through the section here at Cruisemates on first time cruisers, lots of tips and suggestions.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyd1972 View Post
Hello, I booked a 9 night eastern caribbean cruise for march 31,2011 sailing from Cape Liberty NJ with my dh and 4 yr old daughter. I'm starting to wonder if 9 nights is too much for a 4 year old. Also, does anyone know when NY/NJ schools have spring break? I'm wondering if there will be many other children on the cruise or if it will be mostly seniors. This will be our first cruise ever. I have no idea what to expect!
My now 12 year old has been asking me to take her on a 9 day cruise since she started cruising at 4.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Well, if your 4 year old, is anything like mine, she will LOVE cruising. My daughter loves wearing a party dress to dinner and eating in fancy restaurants .... so cruising is totally up her ally! She'll be five in February and weeks away from her second cruise. She loves it!

My daughter was okay with Camp Carnival. My son hated it. We spent most of the week with our kids, which was fine with us.

I'm guessing you won't find toooo many kids on Royal. While we love Royal, we find it expensive for the little ones.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman

I have been cruising with my kids (now 11 and 15) since they were much younger than 4. I am sure you child will be "over the moon" as Royal Caribbean has an excellent kid's club and very good counselors.

Also, I wouldn't worry about how many 4 year olds are onboard...and there will be others...because, as you know, at that age children tend to think about themselves, so with an engaged counselor and a couple of new friends, life will be good.

The one thing I did find when my kids were younger is that they tend to worry about getting back to the kid's club because they are having this or that "favorite" thing. However, at 4 they do tend to get tired so there can be "overload" between the club and time on shore coupled with late nights...for them.

So with a bit of balance it should be a great time. I wouldn't worry.
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Admiral

One more thing I thought of .... if you still have it, bring your stroller. If you don't have, get a cheap umbrella stroller from target. They come in SOOOOO handy at the airport because its a lot of walking. When they want to walk, the carryons go in the stroller and we gate check them.

The strollers are also SO handy for port days, if you want to walk around and shop. Usually they are so exhausted, they get a great nap while we shop. My daughter is a tall four, and in a few months, I'm sure she will look really odd in her stroller, but I don't care. We paid a lot of money for our umbrella strollers, so I'm keeping them at least until our next disney trip.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
One more thing I thought of .... if you still have it, bring your stroller. If you don't have, get a cheap umbrella stroller from target. They come in SOOOOO handy at the airport because its a lot of walking.
My four year old needs every bit of energy burning activity possible. He can pull me around the airport in a wagon.
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Note mine, they have their mamma's zest for physical activity.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991