CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   hostility toward children by passengers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/391160-hostility-toward-children-passengers.html)

longbeach1 August 9th, 2012 12:37 AM

hostility toward children by passengers

In the unlikely event I ever have enough loose change lying about to afford to take my girls with me on a cruise some summer, I wouldn't be having them stay in a kid program. No knocking the program - I just want to spend time with my kids. I wouldn't sneak them into adult-only areas or activities. I would imagine these would probably be HAL or maybe Celebrity ships, from what I've had recommended.

What I wonder is, how much hostility I should expect from other passengers upon seeing my kids in the main dining room or at a talk or (G rated) concert? I've read quite a bit of anti-kid venom here, as if all children were hooligans or Eloise rampaging through the Plaza.

aerospace August 9th, 2012 01:53 AM

I'd call it more frustration that wild kids can ruin the relaxation they paid thousands for rather than hostility.

Never seen anyone get physically or explicitly verbally abusive about kids. More likely people will just talk about the parents being incapable to control their kids, or purposefully ignoring them regardless of how they act. The parents of wild children seem to just let them roam so as not to spoil thier vacation not caring it effects others.

Calm well behaved kids are welcome anywhere including formal nights in the dining room or shows in the theater.

longbeach1 August 9th, 2012 02:08 AM

Glad to hear that if the youngsters behave, people are OK with them at dinner, formal night, lectures, etc.

Manuel August 9th, 2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbeach1 (Post 1441644)
Glad to hear that if the youngsters behave, people are OK with them at dinner, formal night, lectures, etc.

That is true. Kids who behave properly are accepted in any place that they attend.

However some youngsters love the kids programs and adults do need a bit of time away from the kids.

TM

Trip August 9th, 2012 07:47 AM

I have never seen any issues at dinner or in the theaters, ever! The only time I have seen frustration is poolside....younger kids in the pool being kids, and, the constant splashing, & kids in the hot tubs.

If you do cruise with your kids, honestly, I wouldn't let the few who may be annoyed, effect you...it probably won't be happening.:D

johnthed0g August 9th, 2012 08:12 AM

Same here, never seen hostility. Personally I wouldn't want young children at out dinner table in the MDR but most families dine together anyway so this has never been an issue. Do think about the kids clubs the children love them & it will broaden their minds & outlook to mix & adapt. My son is exactly the same as you by the way.

longbeach1 August 9th, 2012 09:26 AM

My kids have been to some kids club type things on land and do enjoy them a good bit. Kids in pools are into splashy fun - I do like the idea of adult-only pools and venues.

Sorry, I guess I was paranoid.

aerospace August 9th, 2012 09:55 AM

From what I've heard most people try the kids program on day 1 and it's the kids who want to go back after that, not the parents trying to get rid of them.

Nothing wrong with a couple hours of vacation break here and there if they like it.

Mike M August 9th, 2012 12:25 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. In 35 cruises I have yet to have a real problem with kids. The only real problems I've had are with older people who really need to practice what they preach in regards to behaviour.

I wouldn't disregard the kids programs. I know my granddaughter loved it when we went on Carnival. We still had plenty of time with her but she also enjoyed being with kids her own age and doing some fun "kid" activities.

Take care and enjoy the cruise.
Mike