CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Balcony Door Security (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/397038-balcony-door-security.html)

blueliner June 17th, 2013 10:11 PM

Balcony Door Security

Our 4 year old daughter will be taking her first cruise with us on the Oasis of the Seas this fall. We have a D1 Balcony stateroom on deck 12, and we are worried about her trying to go out on the balcony by herself in the morning while we may still be sleeping. I know the balcony doors have a large lever that locks the doors, but she could probably pull that down and open the door. Anybody know of any locking device we could use to help secure the door in case she tries to open the balcony doors? Thanks!

storybookcruises.com June 18th, 2013 12:03 AM

Those levers take quite a lot to open, plus sliding the door would also take a lot of strength as well. I'm not sure a child that old has what it takes to unlock and open those doors, but I guess it's possible.

I was told they have some type of childproof device they can lend you to insure the door cannot be opened. Not sure exactly what it is and I've not personally seen one, but this was passed on to me by one of our clients who had a small child.

I have seen the kind where you insert a small rod in the top frame, I'm just not sure if it was on the Oasis-class ship or not.

Have your agent call RCCL and inquire about this for you.

Pete

Paul Motter August 27th, 2013 09:30 PM

Those doors usually take a lot of strength to open, but if you are worried you should be able to get some kind of device to lock it.

Is she able to figure out locks yet? if so, I would try to get something that fits in the top of the door to keep it from opening.

Another concern is making sure the balcony furniture is set up in a way that she cannot climb upon it.

I have never heard of a child accidentally ( or otherwise ) falling off of a balcony, but I would never take anything for granted, either.

Mike M August 27th, 2013 10:09 PM

A standard, rubber wedge, door stop between the slider and the fixed window will take care of the problem. Just mount it sideways between them.

Take care,
Mike

Villager October 7th, 2013 07:12 PM

I was just on the Allure a week ago. The sliding door had a secondary lock mounted on the inside near the top where the two sections meet. It is designed to prevent entry from the balcony for security purposes, but will be perfect for your desired use. I would assume the Oasis has a similar lock on its doors. I don't remember seeing one when I sailed on the Oasis, but you would not ordinarily notice it if you were not looking for it. I just happened to notice it on the Allure.