Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2000, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Hello ! ! !

Hey first-time cruisers, please do not be shy. This is a great place to ask questions and get them answered by our staff. No question is too silly or basic, we remember what a mystery the entire process of cruising seemed like in the beginning -- what clothes to take, how do the meals work, what's in the cabin?

Be sure and check out CruiseMates' First-time cruiser area written by the author of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Cruise Travel Vacations, Fran Golden.

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2000, 08:44 PM
Beckie

Default RE: Hello ! ! !

OOOO! I have this book and am reading it now. Never connected the two. LOVE the book though. Very easy to read and understand, without making me feel like an "idiot." I bought this one and the Unofficial Guide to Cruises. The Unofficial guide was a waste, however the library will appreciate it. Will be donating it to them, since they only have two cruise books and both are outdated.
Old August 23rd, 2000, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

Glad to know we can ask anything. We are going on the Millennium in April and with all the talk about the boat , wondering if we should cancel or just hang in.

Whats your opinion on this?
Old August 23rd, 2000, 11:34 PM
cheri

Here's another first time cruiser's question ... if you ask your steward will they bring an iron and ironing board to your stateroom? I'm sure they will pick up our clothes and press them for a price but was wondering about doing my own ironing when I get there!
Old August 24th, 2000, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hi Cheri...

We actually spoke to the President of Celebrity, Rich Sasso, today by phone, and there is still no definite word about what is going to happen. I apologize for that for the company, with all the speculation I think they should just make up their minds and let everyone know.

What is your situation? Is it that you only have one vacation a year and if - God forbid, trhe cruise is cancelled your year will be destroyed? Or is it more like it doesn't matter *that much* if your cruise is delayed by a little time, especially if the cruise line makes up to you for a waiting in a big way?

If it's the first - you might want to cancel just to be sure you get to cruise. If it is the second then I would hang in there and see what happens.
Old August 24th, 2000, 08:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do not think they will bring an iron to your cabin, but some ships have laundry rooms for the guests and they usually have an ironing board and iron. I have a small travel iron that works fine for me.
Old August 24th, 2000, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Beckie -- we died laughing at your post since the author of both books are close friends of ours! The unofficial guide is authored by Kay Showker, she also writes a lot of books about the Caribbean. She lives right across Central Park from us and we have dinner together all the time :-)
Old August 24th, 2000, 10:03 PM
Beckie

Rereading, I said the unofficial guide was a waste. I wasn't clear that it wasn't beneficial to ME. I bought the book AFTER we booked our cruise and did all our homework. Had I bought it in our initial planning stages, it would have been more helpful. It's not that the unofficial guide is poorly written or doesn't have pertinent info. It does, just not for the stage we were at. Which is why it will make a good addition for our local library. (Our library moved from what was a two room school house to a regular "library-sized" building 10 yrs. ago. Unfortunately, their funding has not increased, therefore, the selection on ALL books is limited. Very few books are purchased. Most are donated.)
Old September 5th, 2000, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a first time cruiser with 3 kids ages 19, 16 and 14 going on the Carnival Destiny for Christmas break, big concern is ensuring they have lots to do. Hearing mixed reviews of the teen program (realize my 19 year old is past the teen program age) and what the teens do at night. Any ideas?
Old September 6th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Breeze,
There will be lots of activities for the kids to do all day and night. Since you're going during a school break, there will be a lot of kids cruising, they will meet others and have a blast. What ship are you going on?

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 6th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We've cruised on both Destiny and Triumph during Christmas. TONS of kids of all ages on both. Your kids will be busier than U

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 6th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

We now have the choice of Destiny or Triumph. Kuki, which did you like better and why??
Old September 6th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Kuki
Not sure if I responded right on the last message. We have a choice between Destiny and Triumph. Do you have any preferences? I need help in deciding.
Thanks
Old September 6th, 2000, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Donna
Think I answered the wrong thread in the last reply. At this stage we have a choice between Destiny and Triumph. Any suggestions?
Old September 6th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Breeze,
Well, at least you narrowed it down to these two, but I do remember Kuki saying he had a ball on Destiny. Sounds like either one will be a good time, enjoy and do let us know which one you choose, thanks.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 9th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would make the choice based on itinerary. These ships are so similar!
I did prefer the atrium on Destiny... found the Triumph atrium dark. But that's really not much of a reason to choose between them.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old September 11th, 2000, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Kuki Been away a few days and the choice of Destiny was made since we preferred the itinerary. I am beginning to think reading up on all the cruise reviews, comments, etc. is making me crazy. Will have to judge for myself (good sign will be how the kids like it).