Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2000, 05:32 PM
First Mate

Default Suprise her with a wedding? Gettting a Chaplain?

Is it possible to have a catholic priest lined up to marry my fiance and I when we get off of the cruise ship in port? I am looking for a waterfall location around the first of January 2001. : ) (Our parents will be invited to be on the cruise too.)
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2000, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Suprise her with a wedding? Gettting a Chaplai

Hi Jim,
Wow, this really sounds exciting. Have you mentioned this to your travel agent?
She/he should be able to direct you in the right direction. Also, what cruise line are you going on, some of them do have a service for this. Here is some information that may be of some help:

<http://www.aweddingforyou.com/>

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 31st, 2000, 10:01 AM
First Mate

Donna I have not contacted a travel agent yet. Its really hard for me to trust anyone with plans especially for such a special day. How do I know I have a good travel agent?

I haven't thought about the cruise line yet. I am starting my research now and hope to be making descisions by next week. I am calling my parents and her parents tonight to see if it is even possible.

Thanks for the web site. I will be looking for more sites like the one you sent me. Have you used the "A Wedding For You"? Do you know anyone who has? Do you have an email or a phone number for them?

Thanks So Much!

Jim
Old October 31st, 2000, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jim,
Found the phone number : 1-800-929-4198 and the e-mail address is
tienot1@aol.com.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 5th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Hi Jim!

Congratulations! My fiance and I will be married in St. Thomas on the beach .. Magens Bay. It's said to be one of the top ten beaches in the world. We used Royal Caribbean's Royal Romance to book ours, but they subcontract it with a company called "Weddings the Island Way" In researching them I found many ppl that were VERY happy with their wedding arrangements. Their website is ....
http://www.weddingstheislandway.com ... they have virtual tours of their wedding sites too.

Good Luck!
Old December 2nd, 2000, 01:05 AM
Admiral

Jim,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your plans for a surprise wedding on some tropical isle looks like it will run afoul of the laws of the Catholic Church on at least two counts.

>> First, the laws of the Catholic Church ordinarily require a dispensation from the local bishop to have a wedding any place other than a church in order to protect the dignity and theological significance of this sacrament. Most bishops will not grant a dispensation to hold a wedding at a site that is not normally used for religious purposes unless the circumstances are such that it's physiclly or morally impossible to hold the wedding in a church. Nonetheless, it's possible that you might be able to find a park or grotto on one of the islands where a parish or mission does habitually hold services since some parishes or missions in the Caribbean do not have church buildings. If so, you could hold your wedding in that place without a dispensation.

>> Second, the laws of the Catholic Church also require all couples comtemplating marriage to complete an approved program of marriage preparation before the actual wedding. Although it's possible to complete such a program in a place other than the place where the wedding will take place, the program does require the full and active participation of both prospective spouses -- so your fiancee obviously would have to be informed of your plans in advance. Also, you may need to reserve space several months in advance depending upon the type of preparation program that you and your fiancee choose. I know it sounds like a pain in the neck (or perhaps a bit lower...) but statistics do show that the divorce rate is much higher for couples who don't take this seriously than for couples who do.

It would be best for you and your fiancee to contact the pastor or an associate at the parish where you live to discuss what you would like to do. Your pastor should be able to work with you to arrange a ceremony that conforms to your wishes in so far as possible within the bounds of church law, and also to obtain any reasonable dispensation therefrom for you. He would certify that you and your fiancee have completed the necessary preparation program so that the marriage can proceed.

Congratulations and best wishes to you and your fiancee!

Norm.