Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2001, 04:38 PM
Texas

Default 31 days and counting

I'm a first time cruiser and received my documents last Friday, which made the wait worst, and I am driving everyone crazy talking about my cruise which leaves, March 4 at of Miami on the Voyager of the Seas.

My question...all you cruise junkies, what do you do to pass time? I'm ready to pack and go. I find cruise related stuff to pass time. This weekend, Feb 3rd I'm looking for formals. It's after the holidays and everything is on clearance. Next weekend, the 10th it's bathing suits and coverups. I saw a few at Wal-Mart, my favorite store last week. So I know the department stores will be stoking their's as well. The following weekend, the 17th, I'm taking my Diva packing list and Calgon's list to Wal-Mart. This is payday weekend so this will be lots of fun. The fourth weekend, the 24th, I'll drag my husband to the mall to buy new shirts and ties for formal nights. I thought about new suits but I'm sure he would rather keep that $500-$1000 for spending money. A new shirt and tie will be just fine. That leaves the weekend of the cruise, which Saturday I'll spend getting my hair braided and nails manicured and toes pedicured. I have the weekends planned but it's during the week that's bad.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2001, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: 31 days and counting

What's the best thing to do between cruises? Chat about them. Here's a link to the CruiseMates Chat.. its every weeknight beginning at 9 PM est.
It's a GREAT spot, because everyone is hooked, and wants to talk cruising. Tons of good info, PLUS we have fun!
The chat is hosted by a CruiseMates staff person, so it's monitored, and in control (unlike some internet chat rooms you might run into).
And U don't have to be worried you're boring your land-locked friends with cruise chatter <G>.
< http://www.cruisemates.com/chatin.cfm>
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 2nd, 2001, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

<http://www.cruisemates.com/chatin.cfm>
That link didn't work.. Try this one!
Old February 2nd, 2001, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Texas,
Sounds like you have everything well planned, way to go. It is very difficult to pass the time until cruise time, but like Kuki mentioned, we just chat about it all the time. Come on in, its great fun and we always love to have first timers come join us :-) Its also a great place to get information, so be sure to bring along any questions you may have, there is always someone that would know the answers.

Donnassei
Old February 5th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Captain

You can always do a lot of research on the areas you are going to see or want to see through books. My wife and I usually buy books on where we are going and know exactly what we want to see and do when we get there. That way we do not waste time on a tour that we may find very boring or disappointing.
Old February 5th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Mary Lou

Wow, you really do have everything well thought out...that is great. Trust me the time will fly by. And please take Kuki up on his advise and join us in the chatroom weekdays at 9 p.m. EST. We also have a west coast chat.
We would love to share your enthusiasm as your day gets closer and closer.
You know it is so funny...once I receive my cruise docs....I read and re-read and re-read until cruising day. I'm just like a little kid.
Hope to talk to you soon.
Old February 5th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Texas

Thanks everyone. I didn't mention, I am surfing now more than ever. At this point, I could probably give a cruise crash course, except for the actual experience. I've read and researched everything I could surf to. I'm not into going to the library or my local Barne's and Noble's, so the internet has been my life for the last few months. I'm convinced the internet was invented by lazy people. I've read every review at every site. It amazes me that I'm still finding small sites which have personal vacation reviews. All the big sites, I visit regularly, Monday thru Friday. I band myself from surfing on the weekends, I've found that you can get consumed very fast.

Well, 27 days and counting........
Old February 6th, 2001, 03:58 PM
First Mate

Texas...my husband and I will be sailing the VOS the same date! We have everything organized...formal, casual and swimwear! Now we're just waiting for our documents. We have also been reading all the great info on Cruisemates...no one can believe the tips we have gathered - thanks to all of the 'seasoned' cruisers. Vickie
P.S. Our first cruise too!!! Not too excited!!! 26 days!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 6th, 2001, 10:56 PM
rsawick

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but as someone else said somewhere in the message boards, I look forward to my cruises now far more than I looked forward to my first one.

I planned the first cruise carefully. I did go to the library and read every book on cruising. I searched the net for every bit of information I could find. With all the information I could gather I was really ready for that cruise.

Guess what? The cruise exceeded my expectations. Now I really am in a state of anticipation. And I start planning the next cruise within a couple of days of arriving home, i.e. as soon as that little wobble in the knees stops.

I hope that your cruise experience will be as grand as can be. Do let us know how you fared when you get back.
Old February 13th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Wow, rsawick I could have written that too. I always pick up a good cruise/itinerary book. Bought Frommers Caribbean at Barnes & Nobel since Christmas. I get that hi-liter out and away I go. Also, buy a .50Cent note book and write down your packing list (in pencil) as you will probably change your mind and when you make those new purchases you will need to change your accessories too. This notebook will also help you with packing and unpacking. Don't forget my helpful hint of putting one of your formal, daytime casual and night time casual outfits in the other person's suitcas including underwear and shoes. Just in case a suitcase gets lost.
Bon Voyage.
Old February 18th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Texas

14 days and counting. I'm going bonkers. I pulled everything out of the closet and laid out my outfits this weekend. Looks like I've gained some weight since last summer. So Ladies, we know what that means, SHOPPING!!! Thank God summer was months ago. My husband shouldn't notice any new shorts and tanks. So this week I'll do a little shopping after work, pick up an outfit here and there and sneak them in the house. Wash them next weekend and he'll never know, at least I hope he won't. I am so hyped.

And these extra few pounds has made my shopping for formals a terrible experience, this was the second weekend I really looked. This pudgy stomach, large thighs and fat arms can't not be displayed to the general public. Even if I won't see any of these people again. Somethings are for Mr. Texas' eyes only. So I think I'm going to go with some pants suits. I only have to dress up two days for this 7 night cruise so I think I'll be OK. All I have are business suits and suits/dresses I wear to church. I don't really go out much to formal events so hopefully since the formal shopping didn't go to well, I can find some nice pants suits.

Talk to you later...
Old February 20th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Frank

What is the Diva list? Where did you find it? Thanks
Old February 20th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Texas

Frank, www.cruisediva.com.

I don't know where I got it from but it's another packing list.

8 days and 45 minutes of working days.

12 real days and counting......
Old February 21st, 2001, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow Texas! Not much time till your cruise. Mine is 4/1/01 leaving from L.A. to mexico on the Rhapsody! I can't wait! It is my second cruise, but my husband's first. His parents and my brother and sister-in-law and their kids are going also, nine of us in all! I can't wait either. Everyone at work is getting sick of me talking about it!