Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2001, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Default wearing apparel

What exactly is appropriate wearing for the formal nights as well as the other nights?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Robocop

Default Re: wearing apparel

Nancy, For men it is a tux our a dark suit suggested and preferred. The first formal night on a 7 day cruise is often the 'more formal' of the two. On the first formal nite I wear black tie tux but on the second nite I wear the tux but with a colourful tie and cummerbund or vest. For the ladies a Gown, or evening wear is proper and even a nice pantsuit on the second formal night is fine IMHO. There are often nites when semi-formal is suggested but not many seem to take note but a man should wear at least a tie if not a sports coat and the ladies business type wear. On casual nights then for the guys dress slacks or dockers and a collared type shirt or polo style shirt and the ladies basically what one would wear to go out for a evening of dining and dancing is proper. Just my opinion.
Jim
Old June 29th, 2001, 04:07 PM
First Mate

Nancy, I have asked the same question, and other cruisers answered that formal nites now tend from long gowns & cocktail dress to fancy pantsuit.

I'm cruising (first time!) on the Vision in August. For formal nites (2), I plan on wearing black palazzo silk pants (very flowing, comfortable & loose) with a beaded top & slip-on sandals. For the 2nd formal nite, the black palazzos with a long-sleeved black shirt that has sheer sleeves and back, with a blank camisole underneath, with black slip-on sandals. The other nites i plan on wearing black dress pants with different tops.

hope this helps.

joanne
Old June 29th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Admiral

I like your choices, Joanne !!!

Are you sure you haven't been shopping in my cruise closet?

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Hostess and utility infielder.
Old July 2nd, 2001, 02:59 PM
First Mate

No, pamda, honest, i haven't been in your cruise closet. I have a hard enuf time in mine! It only took me 5 minutes to decide to take the palazzos; it's everything else i'm obsessing over (except Tweety, of course)

joanne
PS (are there two pamdas? one pamda and the other Pamda?
Old July 9th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Ladies have quite a bit of latitude in dress. Just think of the formal, semi-formal, casual dress as overlapping categories.

Formal: Basic black dress with jewelry to beaded and sequinned Scarlet O'hara dresses.

Semi-formal: Something you might wear to a wedding (not yours of course!), to a basic black dress.

Casual: Think cute, backyard party, sundress, to a bit fussier Sunday dress.

Pants/slacks okay in all three categories, just pass on the shorts.

See? Easy.