Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Captain

Default credit cards

I have read alot of reviews and they all mention using credit cards. Do I have to have one? I would really rather not use one if I don't have to.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: credit cards

Hi Lou,
Its really much easier using one and while on Explorer of the Seas we were able to pull up our account right on the TV in our cabin so we could keep track of where were were in regards to how much we were spending. I believe you can also give them a cash deposit when boarding to use as your credit, but then you have to travel with a bunch of cash, where its really not necessary.

Good Luck and happy cruising!

DOnna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 27th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Captain

No you do not have to have a credit card. You can leave some sort of deposit such as cash or traveler checks at the pursers desk for onboard expenses. If you do not spend it all they will give back the overage if you spend more than you deposit you will have to make up the difference. We have done this in the past but it is easier with the credit card.
Old August 27th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Admiral

It is much easier with a credit card. They (the ship's staff) take an imprint, you monitor your bill, you have a wonderful cruise, your bank sends you a bill and you pay your bank. No interest charges, no lines to wait in, no excessive amount of cash to withdraw from the bank and carry with you.
Bon Voyage
Old August 29th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Admiral

I'm with the others. A credit card is a GOOD idea. Watch your mailbox. If you're like we are we get three or four offers a week for a card.

Your local bank may also issue a debit/credit card -- ours does.

If you don't like the idea of having a credit card in general, use it on the cruise then put it in the bottom of a drawer to use on the next one.

Another good thing about having a credit card is making offshore purchases of significant value. If you need to make a "return" you have the credit card company between you and the merchant.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor