Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2001, 12:53 PM
WB

Default Film, video and airport security

My wife and I will be cruising on the Galaxy on Oct. 19. We will be bringing some disposable cameras and a video camera. What is the best way to get film and video tapes through airport security without too much hassle and without damaging the tapes and film?

-WB
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Film, video and airport security

Hi, WB ...

The easiest thing to do is just put them on the conveyor belt. The speed of film in disposables and video cameras isn't high enough to put the film at risk.

You might want to read this little article:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...me/cameras.cfm

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old September 12th, 2001, 12:21 PM
FrankM

Default Re: Film, video and airport security

WB,

I disagree with advice about putting film thru the X-Ray at the airport security check point. I had a fresh roll of 100 ASA speed film that I had forgotten and left in the bottom of my carry-on photo bag and subsequently went through the srecurity X-ray machines at a number of airports over the next few months. I then used the film and got the photos processed. The whole roll had a dark cast to all the photos. The other rolls of film that I had passed around the X-Ray machines did not get damaged. It appears that multiple passes through the X-Ray will affect any film of any speed. From now on, I put all my film in large zip-lock bags and pass it around the X-Ray machines. I do the same for my camera if I have film in it. I haven't had any problem with the film since.

I made a similar post earlier this year on one of CruiseMates message boards and I got a response from someone who has a worse experience-all his cruise photos were completely ruined from repeatedly passing his film through the X-Ray machine. You take a chance with your film EVERY time it goes through the machine. This caution only applies to regular,chemical processed film. Digital photographt is different and shouldn't be affected by X-Rays-as far as I know. Be "safe", rather than "sorry".

FrankM