Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Ricki Lynn

Default First Time Cruisers (10th Wedding Anniversary Cele

Hi,
My Husband and I have been dreaming for years of Taking an Alaskan Cruise for our 10th Anniversary, well it's next May. We want to get the best for hard earned years and $$$. We have never been on a cruise before or to Alaska for that matter. I need some of your experienced cruisers to help me out.
I am going to speak to a Travel Agent today who is pushing a Holland America 9 day cruise. It leaves from our port here in San Diego Ca and takes the inside passage with stops to Juneau, Glacier Bay, and Ketchican with a final destination of Vancouver BC. {Now we aren't to keen on Flying so we are oppting for a AMTrack trip back to San Diego. At an Extra Charge} All this for a bargain at $811+ taxes, port charges, etc. I think it amounts to $995 for a Lg Oceanview room.
Being this is my first cruise I would like to have a Veranda to sit out side my room and watch the senary...Is it worth the extra $$ for this type of suite? Do you get better service or extra ammendities for pay the suite prices? What about the length of time you spend in the ports, is there enough time to take the excursions and see the towns? And hidden charges, I've heard you can be nickel and dimed if your buget cruising. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You can respond to either of these email address:
ricki_lynn_miller@hotmail.com or rklynn@home.com
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: First Time Cruisers (10th Wedding Anniversary

Hi RIcki,
I found some interesting info. on cruising in Alaska, may help answer some questions, I understand an Alaska cruise is just wonderful so I don't blame you for wanting to make it the best especially since this will be your first cruise, hope this helps:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/portsofcall/alaska/index.cfm>

Here is another one on packing, enjoy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/portsofcall/alaska/Packing.cfm>
Old October 20th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ricki Lynn ==>

We did the Alaska cruise last May for our anniversary...and it was fabulous. You can see pictures of our trip in the Photo Gallery...Alaska - May 2001. The pics will give you some idea of what you'll see off a balcony if you choose to go for it. Personally, we won't sail without that chance to step outside and watch the world go by. I can stand for hours just watching the open sea.

We originally planned to go on Holland America but switched to Princess. It all depends on what you want. Both offer white glove service, good to excellent food, etc. Princess tends to be a bit more laid back on board. It also has a huge array of excursions. Their excursions tend to be a bit pricey. You can do better on your own. First thing to do is get the Official Alaska State Vacation Planner...lists all sorts of tours, etc. with their web sites.

No, you never have time to take all the excursions but there's time to see a lot. None of the towns in Alaska are that big that you can't walk them easily. It's the tours out of town that take time. Even those excursions not linked to the cruise line try to gear their timing to cruise sailings. It's something you have to check on yourself.

Hidden charges...aren't they everywhere? :>) On Princess we had tips deducted for the dining room staff whether we ate in the dining room or not. All in all, we haven't found cruise lines charging "hidden charges" that we wouldn't have paid anyway. We just would like to make our own decisions.

Alaska is absolutely gorgeous...where else can you see mountains rising out of the sea up to 15,000 feet...where else can you look at the shoreline and see no roads, no condominiums, to telephone poles. And then there's the wildlife...traffic backed up because a moose stopped in the middle of the road...sheep scampering over the rocks above you. Where else will you see sunlight shining on the mountains...at 11:00 at night?

It's to die for...you can't help but enjoy it.

Regards...JimM
tgla@coserv.net
Old October 20th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Hi Ricki Lynn ...

What a great choice for a first cruise.

I would opt for a verandah cabin on the side that's closer to the mainland depending upon your itinerary.

It really is worth the extra $$$.

The nine-day cruise is nice, too. A little more time to relax on what is a very port-intensive itinerary for seven day cruises.

Glacier Bay is magnificent. Good thing it's on the itinerary.

If you have more questions, ask away !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 21st, 2001, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's a link to to a special section on Alaska...from Coastal Living magazine...lots of links to explore.

http://www.coastalliving.com/adverti...ka/default.asp

Enjoy...JimM
Old October 21st, 2001, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's a link to to a special section on Alaska...from Coastal Living magazine...lots of links to explore.

http://www.coastalliving.com/adverti...ka/default.asp

Enjoy...JimM