Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:11 AM
First Mate

Default Snorkeling at Chankanaab Park

Hello Everybody!
Has anyone been snorkeling at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel?
Silly question but what do you do with your personal belongings while
you are snorkeling? We would like to take a little cash for drinks or
"T" shirts. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab Park

I'm not sure what specific facilities are there, but since I ran into this problem on my first cruise I have a solution. At most dive shops, many sporting goods stores and often in the gift shops on the ship, you can buy a waterproof plastic holder for your valuables. Goes around your neck and usually comes in two sizes. Smaller will hold cruise ID ,license, a credit card and several folded bills.Larger will hold.about 2x that. I could care less if someone steals my towel but my ID and cash are always with me.
Old October 25th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Hi, Debbie ...

I have an unusual and highly-trusting approach which involves female intuition.

Look around and see who looks trustworthy (here's where the intuition comes in) and ask if they will watch your stuff while you go into the water.

We've been using this approach almost since forever and nobody has ever said no and nobody has ever made off with our stuff.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor and Trusting Soul
Old October 27th, 2001, 08:07 AM
donnajo

Yes, we have been snorkeling at Chankanaab twice! Like Pam, we have always had someone keep an eye on our stuff and never had a problem. Usually we meet some very interesting people too. The last group who watched our stuff was a group of travel agents. You will love Chankanaab. We are going again next April.

It costs $8 for the cab ride (no matter how many in the cab - so split the ride with another couple) $10 pp to get into the park. It's very beautiful there and the snorkeling is good. Have a good time!
Old October 31st, 2001, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Definitely get the credit card size holder. I"ve had one for years and stick in a copy of passport, credit/debit card, cash or traveler check and room key. Wear around your neck or keep in zippered pocket. They can take your shoes, towels, etc but the most important stuff stays with you at all times. Can't go wrong this way.
Old November 5th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Robocop

Those small waterproof holders that go around your neck really are very nice. What you might also do is bring a ziplock type plastic bag with you and after placing your valuables in it, discretely bury it in the sand under your chair or towel. A passing thief might be willing to take something sitting in the open or even in a shoe or under a towel, but they certainly aren't going to escavate the sand unless they saw you bury it. <G>
Jim