Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Default What happens if plane is late?

We're sailing in January & I was wondering what happens if our plane is delayed due to bad weather (which is very possible in Kansas City!)? Does the ship wait?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: What happens if plane is late?

If you booked the airfare through the cruiseline then yes they wait or they make arrangements to get you to the next port to meet the ship.

If you booked the airfare on your own they don't have to wait for you and you would be responsible to make arrangements to meet the ship at the next port if it left without you.

I would say that chances are good that if you are snowed in a cruise sponsered flight might also be snowed in too.

Good luck. We had the exact same worries on our January cruise so we flew out of Wisconsin a day early to make sure.
Old November 26th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Previous writer pretty much has it down, however , keep in mind they will hold a ship for an hour or two, but not for a day or two. We travel a day in advance during any season that weather can be an issue. Buy travel Insurance. It will give you some peace of mind if your stuck and not going to make the ship to know that at least you will be reimbursed for the cost of the trip.
Old December 7th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Marnie

My TA told me that if you buy the travel insurance it only helps if you bought the air through the cruiseline. I'm not certain if this is consistent across all cruiselines, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm concerned for the same reason. We are scheduled to arrive 5 hours early. At 1st I thought that was plenty of time, but now I'm hearing that it's really risky. We called our airline (US Airways) and asked how much it costs to change flights. It will cost $100 per person to change the flight which is about the cost of travel insurance, then we'd have to pay for a hotel near the port. So we decided to stick with our plans, watch the weather before and decide if there's going to be a need to change.
Old December 13th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

We traveled last March and had a problem not from the weather but the fact that the plane did not come in from the previous airport. I got up early the day of the flight and checked the web page. It said that the flight was canceled, so I called the airline, they said that all flights from our closest airport were booked. We ended up catching a flight from Chattanooga. I live in Knoxville TN, about an hours drive. We ended up getting to the ship on time, but others who didn't check on the flight showed up at the airport and had to take a much later flight. They missed the ship and had to go to the first port of call to wait on the ship. Fortunate for them, since the airline screwed up, the airline had to pay the expenses. The only other problem we had was that some of our luggage was delayed. it too made it to the first POC. The cruise line and the airline both paid for clothes to wear and the cost of the damaged luggage. I could have claimed it on insurance too but I didn't.

I have purchased insurance and never had to use it. Better to have it and not use it than not to and need it. I will not do major traveling without the insurance.