Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2001, 04:08 PM
Patricia Stichter

Default First Timer on the Disney Magic

I have a few questions to ask about the Disney Cruise, Magic;

I am taking 22 of my children and grandchildren on the disney cruise for 7 nights over the Christmas Holiday.

~I have recently read that shorts and jeans are not permitted in the restraunts.I have grandchildren who range form 6 to 18 and wondering if they should be in dresses and nice pants or can they wear casual kahkis and skirts? Also do the young boys have to wear a coat and tie for every dinner?

~What do you suggest for motion sickness and should it be taken before the cruise? I have heard that taking it later after getting sick, I think it does not work.
Do your suggest Dramaine or a motion sickness patch?

~Would anyone know what kind of water is used to fill thier pools? Are all the pools fresh water, half salt and half fresh, or all salt water?

Thank you very much. I may get back to you.

Sincerely,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2001, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: First Timer on the Disney Magic

Hi Pat,
You may also want to read through the section here for first cruisers:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Have a great time with all those kids, bet they love it!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 4th, 2001, 07:38 AM
barbara rose

Pat,
I, too, am a first timer. I called my doctor's office to ask about seasickness patches and the nurse spoke with me. She said there can be side affects from patches and told me to look for Marazine brand of over the counter pills. She had just been on a cruise and used them.
She said to take them the day you board ship and continue for 24 hours. That will protect you for entire trip.
I haven't gotten them yet as my cruise won't be until 12/16.

I have a LOT of questions about what to expect, myself.

Wish you a great holiday with that large group!
Old December 4th, 2001, 12:35 PM
First Mate

Dear Barbara,

Thank you so much for you thoughts on the cruise! With 22 of us going and such an age range, I would like to tell them all what I have heard. Have you heard anything about the salt water versus fresh water and possibly what children can wear at dinner time. The younger children should be able to get away with skorts and slacks for the girls and nice shirts and pants for the boys. I have read all the material in the cruise brochures and do not think I will, myself, take formal dinner wear. I have some nice pants and tops which are dressy and, of course, the men may have to take a tie and coat. I appreciate your information and stay in touch if you hear anything else. I will do the same.
Sincerely, Pat
Old December 11th, 2001, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Hi,

My whole family of 22 is leaving on the Disney Ship, Magic, on the 22nd of Dec. I think one of my biggest concerns are the comments about the extra tipping. I understand about the steward and dining room help, etc.
However, I am not so sure about the little dollar tips for requesting a pop or a drink. There have been so many people on the internet either angry or upset about the nickel and diming on their trips. Is there anyone out there that can say definitely to tip for requests or not? I have 15 grandchildren and would find it very hard for tracing their steps and am almost afraid of what to do. I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
Old December 11th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Admiral

On the Carnival Cruise Lines- if you order from the bar or have a pop(drink) delivered to you the tip will automatically be added to the sign and sail card. I took cokes and water from home for my trip. I had a small roller suitcase filled with those items. I had no problems about carrying them on the ship. I had a collapsable cooler that the cabin steward kept filled with ice. If I wanted a coke during dinner I took one from the cabin and the waiter gave me a glass of ice. Saved my family a lot of money.
Old December 11th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Hi Pat,
When ever you order a drink that costs, they automatically add a 15% tip to your bill, so you don't need to tip any extra.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
First Mate

Hi To Donna and Karen,

Thanks so much for your advice on the tipping. I was out yesterday for lunch and all of the girls told me to forget it and have a good time. Some had been on cruises and said you did not have to tip. They laughingly told me if they had worried as much as I had, they would not even have fun going on a cruise. I have now gotten it instilled in my brain and will not think about it again!! They all said when you pay as much as you do for a cruise that they expect to be pampered all the way and not to worry about a thing!! I will do just that and now will think about my packing. Thank you both so much for answering me. I feel much more relaxed! Will follow up when I get home. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Love, Pat
Old December 12th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Hi Pat,
It sure doesn't hurt to go all prepared for everything, which it sounds like you are and even with the tipping questions. Good luck with the packing and I'm sure you will go and have a great cruise.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host