Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Nikki
Default Questions,questions,questions!

Hello:

My wonderful husband has booked a cruise for my 30th birthday aboard the Golden Princess, and I am a bundle of anxiety! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, but here are my main questions:

1.Our travel agent booked us for 2nd seating, traditional dining. Good? Bad? Is it hard to change to Personal Choice?
2. We are both more "casual style" folks, and I am super stressed about clothes. I think my husband owns one jacket, and it is more of a sportscoat. I own one "cocktail" style dress. Do we need to do some major shopping?
3. We want to pay for onboard charges with cash at the end of the cruise. Can anyone give approximations of the cost of drinks? Can anyone give an average per person cost for all the "extras?" We're not heavy drinkers, but we do enjoy a little wine with dinner, and a few cold beers on a hot day.
4. Are the excursions worth it? We are looking at snorkeling in St.Thomas, for example.

Thank you so much! I have been reading posts for hours, and have already found a lot of useful information.

Nikki
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Questions,questions,questions!

Hi Nikki,
With the dinning choices onboard Golden/Grand Princess, once you have traditional dinning you are able to try out the personal choice dinning, but you can't go from PC to traditional, so you are free to give it a try. There are now just 2 formal nights during their 7 day cruise, so a dark suit or tux are fine for those nights. On the other remaining 5 casual nights dresses and pant suits are good for the girls and docker type pants and polo shirts are fine for the guys, so you really don't need to go out and buy a new wardrobe, but it is a good excuse :-)

There are also a few excersions you can do on your own, but if you see somthing you really want to do, you can also pre-book on-line at the Princess web site, very easy, you will just need your booking number and you can get that from your travel agent or by calling 1-800-Princess.
If you want a nice spot to snorkel in, you can take a cab to Red Hook ferry to St. Johns and then another cab to Trunk Bay, great snorkeling and a beautiful island, well worth the time and effort to get there. The ship will also offer an excersion there, but you can go on your own and also save a few dollars. Last week we did the America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten, and it was great fun! Pic is of us on the winning boat, you can either do a major job or not, its totally up to you.

You can also secure your account with cash when you board if you like, and remember too that they are now doing the automatic tipping, will be taking out $10.00 per day, per person. I kind of liked having that taken care of for me, I can still adjust the amounts or have it taken off and tip the old fashioned way, but it saved us from carring the extra cash for that.

Here is a link to "Kuki's" review of Golden Princess from last week, we all had a wonderful time, enjoy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_princess/golden5.cfm>

Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 12th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Hi, Nikki ...

Congratulations both on your birthday and your first cruise !!!

If you like wine with dinner, the cost-effective method is to buy it by the bottle rather than the glass. Anything you don't drink will be put back for you to enjoy another time.

Renting a tux for husband might be the way to go for the formal nights. It's less than $100 and he will feel extremely spiffy.

I am a big proponent of the "LBD" (Little Black Dress), the plainer the better. It can be accessorized a gazillion ways ... dressed up or dressed down. I am also a believer in black silk pants with different tops.

There are a couple of reasons why using a credit card is a good idea ... you don't have to carry a lot of cash or travelers checks and you don't have to stand in a line. Also, you get to use the bank's money for a while if you pay it off in full.

We generally take $100/day in cash and usually come home with a lot of it. That's for tips, walking around money and gambling.

Plan on about $3 or a bit more for beer (tip included onboard). I don't drink beer, so maybe someone will come along who knows better.

When in St. Thomas, the best thing to do (my opinion) is take the ferry to St. John for the day and do your snorkeling there. Is is beautiful.

In the blatant self-promotion department, there is a terrific book called Cruise Control (OK, I wrote it) that should answer a lot of your questions.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Passenger

If I were go take the ferry to St. Johns what would it cost me (taxi from the pier and ferry)?
Thanks,
Carolyn