Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Passenger

Default First Time Cruiser

My daughters (17,16,6) and I are going on our first cruise this August, Elation to the Mexican Riviera. I'm concerned about the activities available for the two older girls. Carnival's kid's camp is for kids through age 15. Has anyone been on this ship before with kids in this age group? I'd appreciate any general suggestions, cautions, recommendations.

Thanks
Lucy
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First Time Cruiser

Hi, Lucy ...

It's a remarkable thing ... teens on a ship seem to have a homing sensor to find each other.

Teen girls seem to really like working on skin cancers (getting a tan) and can find teen boys without a problem.

Have them bring a good book or two as a start.

So far as cautions go, same rules you would use at home. Curfews, check-in times and so on.

I'm a fairly liberal person, but there have been numerous times on cruise ships when the smell of "doobie" was on the air. VERY bad idea. In some countries, if you are caught with dope not even the most convincing parent or the most expensive lawyer you can find will get a kid out of the slammer.

Even if your older girls look great in bikinis (remember when we all did?) have them take a conversative one-piece for beaches ashore. No point showing off too much merchandise, y'know?

Also, they should dress conservatively for shore visits that don't involve bathing suits.

The Brittnay Spears approach is NOT recommended.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:07 PM
chelsea

Default Re: First Time Cruiser

I didn't put my kids ages 15, 17, 11 in the camp. I felt perfectly safe when they were away from me. They just follow the rules as at home. Stick together, also they knew not to lean over the railing or act annoying to the other passengers. They had a lot of fun just wandering the ship and doing other activities. I think the camp would probably be a great idea for your six year old though.