Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Mike Twertson

Default SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT CRUISING

1.Would the tap water from my stateroom's washroom's sink be drinkable?

2. How much would the average person spend onboard the ship (gifts,tips,gambling etc.)

3. How long would it take to reach my stateroom?

4.What if I want dinner at the 24-hour buffet instead of my assigned restaurant?

5. In a ship's spa,do I have to buy treatments in a package?

6. What if I run out of a medication on the ship for some reason?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT CRUISING

1.Would the tap water from my stateroom's washroom's sink be drinkable?

Have always drank water from the tap, some are fine, others not the greatest, but it is drinkable.

2. How much would the average person spend onboard the ship (gifts,tips,gambling etc.)

Everyone's spending habits vary, depending on how much you drink/gamble and what and how many shore excersions you do will detemine what kind of bill you get at the end of the cruise. Just keep track of your spending and you won't be in for a huge suprise. I would plan on spending around $100 per day, so far we've been way under that, but its a good start.
3. How long would it take to reach my stateroom?

If you cabin is located close to some of the areas you will be, then a short walk, but other times cabins are far from all the restaurants, pool, etc. Totally depends on where on the ship your cabin is located, something to consider when booking.

4.What if I want dinner at the 24-hour buffet instead of my assigned restaurant?

If you want to eat at the buffet, you can any time, not a problem.

5. In a ship's spa,do I have to buy treatments in a package?

NO, you don't have to buy a whole package.

6. What if I run out of a medication on the ship for some reason?

I would certainly bring enough medication to last the whole cruise, you sure can't count on the ship having the exact meds you are on.

Here is a link to some good information for a first time cruise, lots of good tips:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...time/index.cfm

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 17th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT CRUISING

Hi, Mike ...

As usual Donna has THE ANSWERS.

I'll just add a couple of things ...

Ask a friendly bartender for a sliced-up lemon or lime. The water is fine to drink, but not all that tasty.

If you mean by "reaching your stateroom" is how much time from arriving at the terminal to being in your cabin? It varies. We generally try to arrive between two and four hours "late" and zip right on.

If you mean getting back to your cabin after a late night? I could be likened to the Bataan Death March.

Figure at least $10 per person, per day for normal tippage. If you order room service, tip the server a dollar or two. (More if the order is elaborate.) Tipping is not required at buffets under most current schemes.

If you in an "assigned seating" situation rather than the personal choice, etc. stuff, tip your waiter and assistant waiter for the nights you don't eat in the dining room. They were there, you weren't.

There will be a complete list of spa services and prices available to you ... usually in your pre-cruise package. Otherwise, it will be in your cabin once on board.

If by "medication" you mean prescription medicine, MAKE SURE you travel with enough. Also, take photocopies of prescriptions with you. At least two days' worth should be in your carry-on and, if you have one, in your travelling partner's carryon.Further. never go ashore without at least two days' worth of meds if your life depends upon them.

Other than tips? How much are you going to spend? Who knows. BUT put your tip money away in your safe first thing. I limit myself for $20 per night for the one-armed bandits (put it all in and take away what's left in the tray -- I once won $2500) ... my husband (the $5 James Bond) limits himself to $100 or so.

Shopping ashore is an entirely different issue. Know what you are thinking of buying and check stateside prices before you go. You can really get ripped with gemstones and optical equipment. DO NOT make major purchases except by credit card.

Hmm. "Just a couple of things" ???