Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How do I know I got a "good price"?

Before I actually book my cruise, I want to be sure that the price I am paying is not too much - is there a "formula" to determine that the price is a good one? Is it 50% off of the brochure price - or more? Or do I just go with the lowest quote? I've gotten several quotes and they vary by about $500 -

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: How do I know I got a "good price"?

50% off brochure is a good rule of thumb to start with. On some sailings, depending on dates, this isn't possible, but good to aim for.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 28th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Passenger

When you say 50% off of the brochure price - does that count when using the early-booking discount price? If the early-booking discount price is $2100 - should I try and get 50% off of that price - or is it 50% off the regular price? thanks
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Admiral

You do your homework, ask for several quotes ,making sure you are comparing the same cruise, room category, sailing date etc. Also making sure you are getting air, no air, transfer, no transfers, travel insurance in the quote etc. Are you booking a specific room or a category guarantee etc etc.Once you are comfortable with a price, you book it. You can then check with the travel agent, especially just prior to paying final payment and see if better price is available. Sometimes the difference can be obtained, sometimes you can get something like a upgrade and other times nothing. Sometimes there is no difference.
It is a little disconcerting at first ( kind of like buying a car and not knowing if you got the best deal). After a while of looking at cruises and fares you get a little more comfortable with the process. By your 10th cruise you will be much more comfortable with the process. Bottom line, do research and in my humble opinion use a good travel agent.
I was so dumb when I booked my first cruise I never asked any of this. Still ended up with a great cruise at a fabulous price because we used a very good travel agent who asked these questions of or for us.
Old June 1st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How do I know I got a "good price"?

Go to the cruiseline website and check their price. Built into that is the TA's commission. Never ever pay the cruiseline price. If you book directly with the cruiseline they keep the commission. Sometimes the prices go down as the sailing date gets closer and you can get a price reduction on your cruise. I'm not sure what the TA's percentage is, it varies by agent and how much volume they do. And by the way brochure rate is not the price being offered on the cruiseline website. It is a price that no one ever pays. You can check some online discount TAs like buycruises.com or bestcruiseprices.com. I have found that they have the best prices. I am taking my first cruise to Bermua in three weeks and believe me I have researched this whole thing to death. My husband is threatening to lock me out of the computer room!!! I have already booked my next cruise for 2003 and I don't even know if I'm going to like it but I can always cancel.Bill wrote: