Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2002, 02:26 AM
pobodysnerfect

Default couple of newbie questions...

Hi all, my fiance and I will be going on our first cruise aboard the Amsterdam/ Seattle - Alaska cruise. My first question is, is there really a difference in wind on balcony's and motion felt between the cabins on the rear, middle or front of the ship? In other words does it really matter where the cabin placement is?
We splurged as this cruise will be for our honeymoon, so we got one of the suites. My second question is, does anybody know if there are cd players in the rooms so we can bring our own music to listen to? Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: couple of newbie questions...

Hi Pobodysnerfect,
You will find a little less motion the more center you are on the ship, so if you are prone to sea sickness, it may help. It also helps to have a window, which you will. Not sure about the CD players in the cabins, hopefully someone who cruised on this ship will.

Have a wonderful honeymoon onboard, bet you'll both love cruising!

on the upcoming wedding and honeymoon!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 15th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Marnie

The cruiselines website should have detailed descriptions of the amenities in the cabins. If not, there's also
http://www.cheap-cruises.com/
You can use their On-line booking engine as if you're booking a cruise and see detailed descriptions of each of the cabins categories. I've seen lots of cabins with VCR's, don't remember any with CD players, but I can't be sure.
Old May 21st, 2002, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: couple of newbie questions...

Art brought his Walkman CD player on our last cruise on Princess, and he loved having it (and it didn't take too much space). I hear that you can buy an optional speaker.

Me? I just turn on the ever-exciting bridge cam channel and listen to the music that's there.

Harry
Old May 28th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Hi, Pobody ...

(And here I thought I was the only one who spelled it that way ...)

Your TA should be able to tell you about the music thing. I travel with a laptop so use that for my tunes (All Jimmy Buffet, All The Time except for classical -- go figure). If you have a DiscMan or similar, you can get some decent speakers from Radio Shack for not very many monies and they don't take up much room. Take along an extension cord.

I am scratching my brain about the suites on Rottie class ships and I don't think there are CD players except in the two top categories.

As to motion, there is very little on Alaska cruises because you are mostly sailing in protected waterways. The wind on the balconies depends on, well, the wind. No way to predict.

If you do nothing else, pack what I call "crinkle suits" ... you know, those ugly flannel-lined jackets and pants. Essential. We don't leave home without them.

All best wishes to you on your upcoming marriage and a terrific honeymoon. And congratulations to your sweetie.

If we can help more, just ask.