CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Sending yourself a "Bon Voyage" gift? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/278271-sending-yourself-bon-voyage-gift.html)

LarryB August 11th, 2002 08:57 PM

Sending yourself a "Bon Voyage" gift?

I read somewhere that it was a good idea to send yourself a case of beer or some liquor. Problem is I can't remember the name or names of the services these people used to do this. I recall one person sending herself a case of Samuel Adams beer for $40....which seems like quite a bargain over the individual cost onboard or mini bar prices.

Any links to the companies that offer these services would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

PS Looking forward to our first cruise aboard one of the RCI Mega ships sometime in Feb-Mar of 2003!!!! Any tips about those ships or preferred weeks would be appreciated as well.

pamda August 12th, 2002 09:58 AM

Re: Sending yourself a "Bon Voyage" gift?

Hi, Larry ...

Try the RCI website. Most cruise lines' websites have an area where you can send bon voyage gifts. And who better to send one to that yourself !!!

One thing, it is in poor taste to "tote your own" in public.

Tip? Unless you are taking children do your best to avoid "Spring Break" weeks.

LarryB August 13th, 2002 09:12 PM

Re: Re: Sending yourself a "Bon Voyage" gift?

"Tip? Unless you are taking children do your best to avoid "Spring Break" weeks."

THAT is exactly what we are hoping to avoid. ANY tips on which weeks to avoid between Feb and April would be greatly appreciated.

Nanatravel August 19th, 2002 01:52 PM

President's week is a big grade school break time in New England. The following week is break for NH, Ohio, Michigan but not as many kids will be on board. Mid to late March up until mid-April should be ok too, most college breaks are over. The last 2 weeks in April are New England school breaks again.

Chuck Palm August 19th, 2002 05:33 PM

Generally, the least expensive weeks in spring are the weeks where there will be fewer children. Fewer cruisers with kids those weeks, no school teachers travelling. Less demand equals a less espensive cruise.

Linda August 22nd, 2002 08:54 PM

Hi. There is a company that sends bon voyage gifts to anyone including yourself. I have used then for beer,soda and booze. The stuff comes in a beautiful package and arrives usually before the ship sets sail. Their website is www.cruisegifts.com There is an e-mail or phone number to order from. Bon voyage!!! Linda

Bob September 18th, 2002 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Sending yourself a "Bon Voyage" gift?

Spring Break, the most dreaded of all holidays for mature cruisers, begins in the middle of March and tapers off at the beginning of April. You will want to avoid the primary and secondary schoolers, college students and the parents who bring their little darlings for you to "share". Please be warned, the cruise lines are very reluctant to "interfer" with misbehaving young passengers. You will pay a premium price for cruising during spring break, in more ways than one. Check out dates in January and February for a more peaceful and economically desirable cruise vacation. Also, some cruiselines are less likely to attract children and "party animals". My preferences are Holland America, Celebrity and Princess, which tend to attract more sedate and experienced cruisers. Ask an experienced travel agent for details and suggestions.

Shangrilq October 15th, 2002 08:39 PM

No one else has mentioned this but I think if you send yourself beer or items that are generally forbidden and they are marked as such on the outside they will confiscate them and keep them until your last night on board??