Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Question about tipping

I've been reading on these boards for a while now and I just wanted to know about tipping? It seems people are always tipping, cabs, porters, shore excursion guides.
Is this common practice? I am aware of the recommended tipping for cruise staff and will adhere to those recommendations unless I get poor service and don't feel a tip is in order. But, all this other tipping? If your already paying for a shore excursion, is a tip still required? Taking cabs, I usually prefer to handle my own bags and don't mind paying more for the baggage but is a tip still expected? Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to come accross as being cheap. I just want to know what is the common practice. When in Rome do as the Romans do. I've always felt tipping as a compliment for exceptional service and don't have a problem with that.

Old August 27th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Question about tipping

Hi, Pete ...

In general, those who perform a service expect a tip ... porters, cabbies, bellboys.

You seem to run into lots of those people when travelling.

Also bus drivers (shore excursions) the tour guides.

Old August 27th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Question about tipping

Hi Pete,
Yes, you should tip all those service people, we always try to take 20 or so singles with before leaving, they do come in handy for all that tipping. At least now, you will be ready to tip these people and have some extra cash, than not know and not have any :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 28th, 2002, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Hi Pete

I've been on a bunch of cruises (12) and I travel often for work. For me tipping continues to be a personal discretion issue based on service rendered and common sense (well, my own sense, I'm sure that qualifies as common).

I always tip anyone who handles my bags, especially at the airport or the crusie terminal. They are the ones who are going to be sure that your stuff gets to you later, no sense pissing them off by being cheap.

I almost never tip van drivers unless they do me some kind of service.

I have both tipped and stiffed excursion guides based on the quality of the information given and the general style of presentation of the service. Whew, what do I mean? Example:

I was in Halifax on the Titanic tour. The guide was energetic, informative and allowed herself to be corrected once or twice (not a know it all). She got tipped. I was in San Juan going to the rain forest. The guide took us the long way thorugh the slums and stopped at his uncles store and gift shop on the way back, after a long excursion that was making us late for our dinner seating. He got stiffed.

Good Luck and happy Cruising

Jeff
Old September 3rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Tipping is discretionary, and we are supposed to do what we want. There are just some people I always tip -- 15% to cab driver, $1 for baggage handler and the same amount for room steward.

By my thinking, they make very little money and provide a service. If the job is done well then I'll naturally tip them.
Old October 28th, 2002, 10:55 PM
mickie

$2.00 per bag is the standard these days and yes you do tip all those people. If it were you doing the job and making your living you would expect a tip would you not?
I travel in a wheel chair and I am expected to tip the guy who takes me from one plane to the other, you know the provided service by the airline a minimum of $10 and as much as $20 for that service.
generally a tour guide will get $5 to $10 depending on how good they are.
Old October 28th, 2002, 10:56 PM
mickie

$2.00 per bag is the standard these days and yes you do tip all those people. If it were you doing the job and making your living you would expect a tip would you not?
I travel in a wheel chair and I am expected to tip the guy who takes me from one plane to the other, you know the provided service by the airline a minimum of $10 and as much as $20 for that service.
generally a tour guide will get $5 to $10 depending on how good they are.