Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2002, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Default Dramamine vs, Bonine

I've seen mention of Bonine on this site for seasickness. I've always used Dramamine.
What are the pros and cons of dramamine vs. Bonine....thanks

Post Edited (10-14-02 05:52)

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Dramamine vs, Bonine

Hi Ed,
I think with Dramamine it sometimes makes you feel sleepy, where Bonine doesn't. I still haven't used the Bonine that I always take with me, but at least I have it, for just in case.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Passenger

Ed wrote:

> I've seen mention of Bonine on this site for seasickness.
> I've always used Dramamine.
> What are the pros and cons of dramamine vs. Bonine....thanks

Ed,

Dramamine and Bonine are very similar in their effectiveness against motion sickness. Donna is partially correct in that Dramamine is _more_ likely to cause drowsiness than Bonine though both can make people drowsy. Both also work better if used prophylactically (before you have symptoms) as opposed to when you already feel sick. Other commonly used over-the-counter medications are ginger pills as well as acupuncture bands worn on the wrists which do seem to have some effect on motion sickness but it's difficult to say which is better in treating motion sickness. The best preventative medication against motion sickness is still the prescription-only scopolamine patches worn behind the ear - ask your doctor.

Spleen
Old October 7th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Admiral

I always take Bonine because it doesn't make me sleepy. Dramamine knocks me right out.

That said, my mom doesn't take Bonine anymore because she thinks it does make her sleepy. She takes ginger pills instead and they work well for her.

I take ginger pills in addition to the Bonine, just as a backup. I've also heard good things about the wristbands. These might be things to try first.

If you're set on taking Bonine or Dramamine, though, I would suggest trying one of each (on different days) before you leave home to see how they affect you. Make sure you're not going anywhere on the days you decide to try them.

Interesting story... on our last cruise, a 3-day, one couple at our table did not show up for dinner the first two nights. On the last night, they appeared. They said they had both taken Dramamine the first night and it had knocked them out for 24 hours! (I'm still not sure whether to believe that.)

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 13th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dramamine vs, Bonine

To save a few bucks you can have your doctor order a script of meclizine HCL 25 mg. It is the generic name for bonine and it is cheap. It is actually a drug used to treat vertigo. The Transderm Scop patch works very nicely. Just be sure not to mistakenly peel it off while toweling off after a shower.

have fun NJDAVE

MARINER OF THE SEAS 10/31/2004
Sensation 4/17/2004
SOS 4/2003
Fantasy 1991 AND 2002
GLORY 8/2003