Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to carla823
Default Weight Loss Before Cruise

I'm sailing on Enchantment of the Seas in early December. We depart from Ft Lauderdale port. Needless to say, I have quite a bit of weight to lose before parading around in a bathing suit amongst tan, thin, beautiful people. I'm working out and trying to eat better. I was just hoping that someone had some more advice on how to lose it quickly. I would love to hear from anyone with advice on this and first-time cruising in general. Our ports of call are Key West, Cozumel & Belize.

Thanks! Carla
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:03 AM
AB the 2nd

Default Re: Weight Loss Before Cruise

Try the Atkins diet....it works for many people.

http://atkinscenter.com/
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Rich&Natalia

If you want quick results, try ephedra based products. Xenadrine if you need to lose a lot of weight or Hydroxycut if you only need to trim about 10 lbs or so. You should read up on the negative side effects of ephedra based products, but they are safe for the most part. Just don't go running 10 miles after double dosing on them. If you can deal with the risk, it's the best weight loss product on the market. Just try to eat a lot of lean protein so you don't lose muscle.

Good luck.
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Weight Loss Before Cruise

Hi Carla

I had to change my diet a couple of yrs ago and lost almost 50 lbs. Size 14-16 to a size 10 today. Basically went sugar free. Buy the diet drinks, and sugar free cookies, ice cream, candies to get you through the cravings and there are usually sugar free desserts on every menu out today. With all of the alternatives out there you really won't miss the sugar as much as you think and the weight just goes. I did reach a point where now I am just holding. I suppose your body finds that size and you just quit losing even though I do remain pretty much sugar free. I do however eat all the meats, fish, veggies and fruits that I want. You won't feel hungry but you may have to develope a taste for some things. Good luck! Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:56 PM
cantwaitotcruise

Default Re: Re: Re: Weight Loss Before Cruise

Try weight watchers. I lost 28 lbs. in about 4 months. It works.
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Newbies

Before starting any diet or trying various diet aid products, it is always wise to check with your health professional. Several years ago, a co-worker of mine tried a diet product that had been advertised as safe, and it made her so sick that she wound up in the hospital.

Although it is human nature to want fast results, I think studies show that slower weight loss is actually better health-wise and that people who lose weight more slowly have a better chance of keeping it off.

I've been dieting since February for my cruise in June. I've lost an average of slightly less than one lb/week. I had hoped to lose about 2lbs/week, but my middle-age metabolism has clearly slowed!

By taking a slower approach to weight loss, I really haven't felt deprived along the way, and I've also been able to establish much better eating habits. Now, instead of celebrating good news with a chocolate sundae, I treat myself with a delightful walk at the park and a tall glass of ice water. I'm down nearly 2 dress sizes now and feel great. The other day I went clothes shopping for the first time since starting my diet. What a high to be able comfortably get into smaller sizes!
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Rich&Natalia

Newbies,

Good advice. Everything people metioned here are important. Reducing sugar, or carbohydrates in general, from your diet is essential in losing weight. However, if you fail to take in enough protein, you'll start losing muscle, which will lower your weight initially, but will slower your metabolism. This is the yo-yo effect that people talk about. Most people on starvation diets lose some muscle, and when they gain the weight back, they would actually have a higher level of body fat.

No need to go as extreme as strict Atkins, but its principle of lower carbo and higher protein diet is something most health experts have converted to. For cheap protein sources, look for tuna fish, chicken breast, egg whites, and whey protein mix. By the way, leave the mayo off the tuna, bake the chicken - don't fry, and make sure you trash the yolk.... ; )

Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Admiral

slow and steady is the way to loose weight and keep it off. Its all about portion control. That's the big thing i learned on Weight Watchers - we as Americans eat waayy to much of everything (would you like to Supersize your order?) you would be amazed at what consitiutes a portion. Cut down on the empty carbs - eat lean protein, veggies, fruit and drink water - try the Crystal Light Lemonade for a nice occasional switch from water - 5-calories per 8oz glass - no sugar. Cut back on the refined sugar- eat whole grains. Rapid weight loss will give you quick results but you will re-gain plus some once you go off those diets.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
dustyroad

lisak

i have been on the atkins diet for a while now (about a yr). i lost weight right away and was never hungery. cut out your flour (all breads and pasta), sugar (use the blue stuff) and sweets. i know it sounds tough but before you know it you really dont miss these things when you see the lbs going away on the scale. i walk alot and take a very good vitamin. now that i have lost 60lbs i consider myself on 'maintanence'. i still eat salads, lots of meat (watch out for hot-dog, they can have lots of carbs), cheeses and eggs.
be a label reader and stay away from sauces and you should see the weight go away.
if you want some good recipes go to :carbolifedirect.com. they have great ideas and people send in tons of great ideas. their candy bars you can buy at walgreens are really good and really low in carbs. they are very good..

good luck and let us know how you do.

if you need other ideas please email me
smoore@netexpress.net
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Weight Loss Before Cruise

Just got back last week, have to say I was so worried about looking ok in a suit before the trip. Now that I've gone there was nothing to worry about, so many different shapes and sizes, mostly everybody wanting to have a good time. Meaning the feeling became so relaxed & enjoyable, didn't seem like everybody was that concerned how good they looked, we all just had a good time. Just think not everybody's perfect. Wanting to eat good is my goal now. Not that I am succeeding! That Breyers rocky Road is killing me.
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Weight Watchers. I have lost about 120 pounds in the last 2 years and consider myself a slow loser.

Be assured, though, you will see all body types and sizes when you go on your cruise.

You can safely lose up to 2 pounds a week (on average) with Weight Watchers. Between now and December, you can lose about 30-45 pounds if you really work at it.

I want to add that diets that are low in carbs do work, but you lose a lot of fluids, not fat, and if you plan to be active in life, the diet is not conducive to being an active person due to lack of carbs to fuel your body during exertion. Imagine going on your dream cruise and not having the energy to explore your ports of call due to being too tired because you are depriving your body of carbs.

Dana

Post Edited (05-10-03 21:25)

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Mishelle

I agree with Weight Watchers, last year I lost 70 pounds in 7 months. Good luck. Michelle
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to newaddiction Send a message via MSN to newaddiction

Carla823;

You've got about 35 weeks til your cruise, right (please correct me if my math is wrong, lol)? There is a funny article (honest too) here: http://www.intense-workout.com/lose_weight_fast.html

The article mentions that losing weight at record breaking speeds would be 1-2 pounds a week. So by my calculations that could be anywhere between 35 and 70 pounds lost for you by early December. Sounds like an adequate amount of weight to lose (I need to lose 80 pounds - but I'm only reaching for 50 by my cruising date) at a healthy rate.

My advice (and what's worked for me) is to eat 4-5 smaller meals per day (instead of 3 big ones) in order to space out your calorie intake and allow your metabolism to efficiently burn the calories. Eat healthy, period. Drink your water and eat your fruits and veggies. I attended a Northern California Cancer Center seminar about nutrition and the speaker said that some people don't realize that veggies are a form of carbs as well - but they aren't the bad ones. So when the food pyramid says that we should eat more carbs (I know, it's old information) we should be considering veggies a part of that - if not most of it. Her reccommendation for how the food pyramid should be revised was water on bottom then fruits and veggies with veggies having a 2/3 and fruits a 1/3 illustration on the pyramid. Next was proteins and breads and grains (whole wheat, brown rice, etc. Not pasta, potatoes and white rice) having equal amounts of intake. At the top is fats, yes fats. There are good fats - mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated. she also suggested omega-3 oils, which I think she said are in fish. She said don't bother with sugars - no soda or candy because there really is no point in putting useless stuff into your body. She said if you get a sweet craving eat some fruit - but not fruit juice because most of the nutrients have been processed out when a fruit is concentrated into juice and sugar has been added to some brands. I drink fruit juice anyway.

I also workout at the gym. I go to my local YMCA and the instructor set me up on the Fitlinxx system. When I show up, I log into the computer and the system tells me what I should be doing that day. It's so easy to work with. Fitlinxx also keeps track of my progress and I earn points which I can redeem for prizes when I workout.

So far I've lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks. BUT I haven't been trying very hard. I don't go to the gym 3 times a week like I should. Once I didn't go for 2 weeks. My instructor called me and gave me crap for not being there. I loved that because I knew someone was paying attention and that helped keep me motivated. I know if I tried harder and treated the gym like any other appointment, I would show faster progress.

Ecstasy - Ensenada 11/2003 & 2/2003
Spirit - Alaska 9/2003
Pride - Riviera 9/2004
Paradise - Baja 1/2006
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to carla823
Default Weight Loss Before Cruise

Thanks for the input. I've lost 25 since January. I know that I would lose more if I drank more water and exercised more. I was dropping quite fast when I went to the gym 3 days a week. I'm seriously thinking of trying Atkins for at least the first 2 week phase. It's very similar to what the lady at your seminar said. Anyway, good luck to you too!
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:06 AM
ShellyK

I know this isn't the "fastest" way to lose weight, but with the time you have this is the best method. Try to walk Monday through Friday 2 miles per day and try to cut out the
sweets or really fatty foods. This is the method I use every vacation and I always lose around 40 lbs. The nice thing about this method is that while on vacation the weight doesn't pile back on like the extreme dieting methods will. 6 months after my last vacation and I've only gained back 10 lbs (without the walking everyday). I'm about to start this method again for my next cruise. Good Luck and have a great vacation!!
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Lifting weights will increase your metabolism and you see results in your arms fast.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes..lifting weights helps. Muscle burns fat.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

One quick tip would be too cut down eating after about 6pm. I've noticed that big dinners at 7:30 and 8:00pm are really adding to my mid section! You eat, then lay down to let the fat go to work on your hips.

I've told my family that I'll only be cooking real dinners on the weekends. This way I'm not tempted to enjoy that lasagna that I just made right before bed time!

You could come borrow my Rottweiler! She likes to drag people down the trail at mock speeds. Great workout!
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:22 AM
Yeoman

I lost some weight before my cruise by using weight watchers, but I read it on here and I was thinking the same thing that a few others said. There will be ALL kinds of body sizes and shapes on the beaches and cruise. I wear a t-shirt over my suit because I don't tan anyway. But you WILL see people that are all different sizes ranging from petite to very big so don't let that damper your vacation if you can't get some of the weight off.

Luanne

Old May 21st, 2003, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Check out www.provida.com. I bought the program that tey sell and I am losing weight. Eating every three hours and never being hungry. The only downfall is that the menu is pretty bland. But the program says you will lose up to 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I am on rack to lose 40 at my pace.

However, diet suck.

Joe
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Passenger

Just want to post my vote for Weight Watchers. I've lost 75 pounds!! It's slow but steady and I know its for life this time!!!

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

6/2002 Radiance Alaska
10/2002 Radiance Pacific NW
11/2003 11-Night Eastern on the Brilliance
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rachel

Make sure you drink PLENTY of water....it flushes out all the toxins in your body and helps your metabolisms moving along. Also make sure you don't eat about 2-3 hours before you go to bed. You gain the most weight when you eat right before you go to bed. Good luck!
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Yeoman

carla

i went on the atkins diet and have gone from a size 16 to size 8 in jeans THAT SNAP. I had not been able to wear anything but elastic waists for years.

do not take in sugar, flour products or starches.

take out the carbs and you will lose very quickly. sugar free jello, sugar free tang and whole whipping cream diluted with water for you milk are great and free of carbs. also the fruit flavored carbonated drinks you can get at walmart are sweet and carb free.

i eat as much as i want of salads with regular ranch dressing, lots of eggs, meat and carbolite candy bars ( you can get them at walgreens ) for my sweet tooth.

i am never hungry and the weight just comes off. be ready to buy lots of new clothes. and i walk alot. i hate set-ups so do those at your own risk.

good luck, dusty
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Ummm....I'm not an expert on diets and nutrition but I do know that things with ephedra in them are not good for you...they can be very harmful to you.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:44 PM
geauxLSU

the best diet is everything in moderation. Eat what you want but smaller portions and exercise a lot. However don't worry about being a model to wear a swim suit. We are some healthy women and we wore ours just didn't walk around in them without a pair of shorts on or cover up. There are lots of beautiful girls, mostly in the 20's I would say and we are not where close to 20, so we just dealt with it and had a blast.
You will gain 5 lbs at least on this cruise so make sure your clothes are not skin tight or you won't be able to wear them. Just relax and have fun.
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to debv

What worked for me.....lots of water!!!!! Stopped eating past 7pm. Exercised an hour a day (30 min treadmill - 30 min elliptical) 5 -6 days a week. And be very aware of what you eat. You have to be very disciplined - you know - 1 or 2 cookies are ok - not twelve! Lots of luck and enjoy your vacation!!!!!!!!!
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Beth S.

I seem to have to lose weight unconventionally first in order to ready myself for the conventional methods. I was using a drug called ******, which is a prescription you can ask for from your doctor. I lost 25 LBS. without even noticing. It works great for me because I eat so that I won't be hungry later....does that make sense? Even if I'm not hungry!!!
Then I got pregnant and gained 65 LBs.!!!! I went on Atkins and have lost all but 10!!
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Passenger

hi i have just started the atkins diet and i have lost 5 pounds in 3 days!! I am a personal trainer and if you dont want to give up all your carbs at least limit them to 30 or 40 a day atkind is 20. ALso make sure u are eating a lot of protein, and work out at least 3 or 4 times a week, if u do 2 muscle groups a day 3 times a week ur muscles wont get too sure and make sure to take a multivitamin and drink eater, i will tell u that there is a little to do with exercise but most is diet good luck and i am going to your same ports of call in 4 days i will let u know how it is!!
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:27 PM
p.g.

Hi Caligirl, Atkins is only 20 grams a day or less for the first 2 weeks , then you start adding carbs andsee how it goes,many maintane their weight loss on 50 or 60 grams a day. I did (and do) I lost 31 lbs,about 5 months ago and maintain it ( 120 lbs) on about that much. It wouldn't be healthly to stay on the " induction phase (20 or less) of Atkins indefinately. I eat lots of veggies and some fruit, lots of protien and an occassional "cheat".
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:04 PM
pinecone

I know this is controversial, but taking a large dose of laxatives after a meal helped me lose 20 lbs in just three months. Try it it works!