Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Default Snorkel Gear

I'm planning to do a sting ray excursion on my cruise in October.
I see in some photos that people have snorkel gear. I know my husband definately would not wear gear that someone else has worn.

Would the cheap plastics ones that you find in the dollar store be suitable as
we are not snorkelers and this would probably be the only time we would use them?

Thanks,

Carmen
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Lisa K

Default Re: Snorkel Gear

Carmen you can snorkel or not snorkel with the Sting Rays, when we went we were on a sandbar standing in waist deep water, while the rays swam around us, we did not choose to snorkel - we didn't miss a thing. We have our own snorkel gear that we bring with us on our cruises, i know what you mean about not wanting to wear the gear provided. I think that an inexpensive snorkel mask will be fine for what you are doing., just get a good fit, - PS if hubby has a mustache or beard, he will need to coat it with Vaseline or he will not get a good fit and his mask will leak.
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:20 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: Snorkel Gear

We brought relatively inexpensive snorkel gear from Sports Authority - $19 a set - worked out fine! I highly recommend it! Didn't bother with flippers - too much to carry. Enjoy!
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Snorkel Gear

If you are snorkelling and visiting the sting ray city sandbar you will need snorkel gear.
Really cheap is not a good idea but the kind of stuff you can buy "packaged" in a high volume sporting goods store or evn in some warehouse stores is fine.
If you are only going to the sting ray city sand bar, there is no need for snorkell equipment. You will stand in waist to mid chest deep water and the rays will come right to the surface. On our last Carnival Cruise, the excursion desk sold new snorkels (snorkel only) for those adverse to using rental stuff for $5.00.
Old August 13th, 2003, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Snorkel Gear

Papa Bill, I like the idea of the ship selling a snorkel for $5 - would save me from buying and packing one in my suitcase. Since this will be the only time I would likely ever use it, I'd love to get one on the ship. Do you know if all ships do this? Specifically, I'm wondering about the Carnival Paradise? Thanks.
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Snorkel Gear

Cannot speak for Carnival Paradise, they did it on Carnival Legend in May.